The un-official Amazon Echo User Forums

MikeNY

« on: April 16, 2016, 02:20:04 pm »
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:13:04 pm by MikeNY »

Re: New Tesla Model III
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:35:30 pm »
The Model 3 is a pretty cool bit of automotive engineering.  Unfortunately neither the back seat nor the trunk are well suited to hauling stuff from Home Depot, or a giant Igloo cooler full of deer carcass from the woods, so I'm going to have to wait until Tesla releases a 4x4 pickup.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 06:45:07 am »
Imagine all the gas you'd save instead of feeding your truck.  ;D

I have.  And it would be almost enough money to offset the cost of recharging and, eventually, replacing the battery pack in the Tesla...not to mention the cost of replacing the 12v battery (which runs the computers and other systems) every year after the warranty expires, as well as all of the other maintenance I wouldn't be able to do myself.

Oh, and there's that whole $16K+ base price differential (minus any state and federal tax incentives, of course).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:27:31 am by DParker »

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
$35K and $14K in incentives and in reality no maintenance at all.

Anything with moving parts (even if there are fewer of them than usual) requires maintenance...especially something that sees significant daily use.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-less-maintenance-more-money.html

Everyone used to whine about the replacement cost of the Prius battery but that hasn't happened. I'll bet the Tesla won't happen either.

What hasn't happened?  Prius batteries need to be replaced at some point (when depends on a lot of variables), and they're not cheap.  Not as expensive as Tesla packs, but IIRC it's something like $5K to get a Prius battery replaced at a dealership (of course you can find non-dealer stuff for cheaper).  And unless/until someone perfects a better battery technology, increasing demand for lithium and the other components aren't exactly going to exert downward pressure on battery costs.

What gets me is that now I hear over 1/2 million people have paid their $1000 at sign up but Tesla admits they can only produce 50,000 a year.... so maybe get your new Model III in oh... 2050 just when due to old age you've lost your license.??

And even if Tesla had the manufacturing capability to crank out 500K cars per year, like Musk plans, they'd need the entire world's current production of lithium-ion for the batteries (http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Tesla-And-Other-Tech-Giants-Scramble-For-Lithium-As-Prices-Double.html).  Some enormous reserves of lithium have been discovered recently...including right here in the U.S., but going from newly-found raw ore in the ground to battery-ready processed material is going to take quite a lot of time, money and red tape.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 07:31:45 pm »
Agreed, everything needs some maintenance at some point but electric vehicles have proven to be really reliable. Remember the GM EV1. It was so good it threatened GM so they destroyed them.

EV1s were only on the road, and in extremely limited numbers for 3 years.  That isn't even remotely close to being enough time to draw conclusions about their reliability.

Originally everyone thought the Prius battery would only last 5 years, then 7, and now 12.

I don't know that everyone thought any such thing.

That's pretty good. I can imagine the Tesla won't be too different.

Why do you imagine that?  You do know that the Priuses that have been on the road for years and Teslas use very different types of batteries, don't you?  Tesla's own estimate for the Model S battery is that it will degrade by ~30% after 7 years/100K miles.

I get the feeling though if someone made the PERFECT vehicle you'd still find fault in it.

What a bizarre, utterly baseless thing to say.  But that's the thing about feelings.  They're a really poor substitute for facts and thought.

And don't believe the stuff you read on the web. You know most of it is BS.

Everything on this forum, including your posts, is stuff I've read on the web.  What to do?

As for my own needs, when Tesla releases a vehicle for under $30K that can tow a boat and is designed to get me here and back...

...then maybe I'll be interested.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:41:13 pm by DParker »

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:19:15 am »
Well that's why opinions are like noses... everyone has one.

http://www.angriesout.com/right.htm

That must be why you feel the need to tell me that I'm wrong to not want a Tesla for myself....seeing as how I'm not trying to push my opinion on anyone else.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:24:43 am »
I'm not pushing to have a Tesla. I just asked if anyone was interested in it and of course you went off on  your usual rant.

http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/howto.html

'nough said...

LOL!  Nobody went on a "rant".  Here's the very first thing I said about it:

The Model 3 is a pretty cool bit of automotive engineering.

I then simply explained why, in spite of that, it wasn't a vehicle that would be of use to someone like me.

Yeah, that was quite the rant.

Your personal attacks are childishly idiotic.

Re: ..
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 12:15:25 am »
LoL