Echo & Alexa Forums

Volume, Change channel commands not working

paddytay999@gmail.com

Volume, Change channel commands not working
« on: January 11, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
I have a strange situation happening and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this:

I have a Harmony Hub connected to Alexa.
I have an Alexa Routine that turns on all my home theater equipment, some Phillips Hue lights, etc. It works perfectly.

Problem is - After a while, Alexa stops controlling the lower level home theater commands, like "Volume Up", "Go to CNN" etc. These commands are working fine at first, but after some time, they stop working. Here's the kicker - if I tell Alexa to "Turn On TV" (the same command used in the routine),  she does so, and then the volume and other commands work again, for a while.

It's almost as if Alexa reverts to a different mode after a period of time, and that the "Turn On TV" command puts her back into Harmony mode?

Anyone out there know what's going on here? Cause I'm stumped.

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:22:19 pm by paddytay999@gmail.com »

LoveUrEcho

Re: Volume, Change channel commands not working
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:54:52 pm »
I did a bit of digging for you, and there is a function called "Follow Up Mode" which I found to confilict with Routines if you have Follow Up Mode turn on.  Try turning this off, and see if this resolves the issue.

Here's how to do it.

Open the side menu from the home page of the Alexa app.

Select Settings.

Choose which Alexa device you wish to activate Follow-Up mode.

Scroll down until you see Follow-Up Mode. Press the slider to de-activate it if it's already activated. You will need to do this for every Alexa device you own.

For more troubleshooting tips visit my Amazon Echo Troubleshooting Page

http://www.sirionsteroids.org/amazon-echo-troubleshooting/

paddytay999@gmail.com

Re: Volume, Change channel commands not working
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:13:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I already have Follow-Up mode turned off. This is a matter of focus. It seems that Alexa changes focus, after a period of time, from the TV/Harmony Hub, back to itself. If I use my Turn On TV voice command again, and THEN use a volume command, it works because the Turn on TV command refocuses Alexa on the TV/Harmony Hub skill. I just wish Alexa could maintain focus on everything it’s connected to via the Skills.