Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa for PC

Hans L

Alexa for PC
« on: January 09, 2019, 08:06:00 pm »
I do not hold anyone here responsible, but is Alexa for PC some kind of joke? Has my PC becokme a playground for drunk programmers? Or is the "guide" writer dimwitted?

I have downloaded and installed (I believe) Alexa for PC on my PC, only to discover (I believe) that I have to log into Amazon to use it. That is joke number 1, I believe. Then, when I open Alexa, I can change settings (I believe), but not, as right after the installation, talk to Alexa (I believe I did).

Is there any of you out thre that is smart enough to explain this inane app to me? If so, thank you very, very much!!!

Hans L

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa for PC
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 12:34:56 am »
Read this page on Amazon for more info on Alexa for PC.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202186050

Obviously you need to login to use Alexa. Whether it's your Echo device (you logged in when you first set it up), or the Alexa app on your phone, or anything else Alexa.

So what does Alexa for PC really do? Well, it's Alexa on your PC. That's it. Alexa for PC is pretty much pointless for people who have an Echo Dot or any Echo device sitting on their desk. And I'm guessing close to 100% of the people here have an Echo device. That's why we're here. So if you want to talk to Alexa on your PC instead of on an Echo device, then Alexa for PC is what you need.

Of course making it work correctly will be a lot more complicated. Many people have no idea how to set microphone levels on their PC. Heck, I bet many people don't even know if they have a microphone on their desktop computer (most laptops will have built-in mics). What Alexa for PC can hear heavily depends on the quality of the microphone on your computer, the levels that it is set to, the gain settings, effects settings, and several other settings that the sound/audio chipset on your computer uses.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:04:51 am by jwlv »

Hans L

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:17:51 am »
jwlv, thanks for your kind reply. I will read the link you referred to.

We have Alexa and three dots in the house, but none in my office, so I thought I would use Alexa on my PC, as I spend a lot of time on it.

I have a webcam with a microphone, so that should not be a problem.

Again, thanks.

Hans L

Hans L

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:47:10 am »
jwlv, Alexa is installed on my PC. When I did it, there was a Launch button, and I can communicate with Alexa after launching. However, While I am very used to computers and computer work (but no expert), I have no idea how to launch Alexa after I get out of the AMZN Mobile LLC after-install-window with the launch button.

There are tons of Alexa files on my computer, some in the folder WindowsApps, which I do not have permission to enter (and one thing I have not mastered is Window's inane permission scheme).

Am I missing something or ...

Thanks for further assistance.

Hans L