Echo & Alexa Forums

TP-Link lamp shows as offline

DebRun

TP-Link lamp shows as offline
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:34:50 am »
I have a TP-Link smart plug. It works fine with my Android phone but Alexa says it is offline.
I installed the Kasa app and set up the switch as "Lamp". Then, in Alexa, I linked to it. When I tell it to discover, it says:
  Lamp (Offline)
  Wi-Fi Smart Plug
  connected via TP-Link Kasa
How do I get it to show as online?

DebRun

Re: TP-Link lamp shows as offline
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:22:31 pm »
It may be that Alexa and Kasa are connected to different Wi-Fi networks.
Does anyone know how to tell the Android Kasa app to switch networks?
Thanks!

DParker

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:08:22 pm »
It may be that Alexa and Kasa are connected to different Wi-Fi networks.

You have multiple Wi-Fi networks in your home?  Even if that's the case, it doesn't sound like that's an issue here, seeing as how the Echo is able to discover the existence of the TP-Link plug in the first place.

Does anyone know how to tell the Android Kasa app to switch networks?
Thanks!

The app doesn't control which network your Android device is connected to.  You do that through the Android "System Settings/Connections/Wi-Fi" configuration screen.

DebRun

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »
Yes, I have a secure network and a Comcast "xfinitywifi" that is not secure. I want to keep automation on the secure one.
I had a problem with a Wemo light switch using the wrong network but, like you said, if Alexa can see it, it is probably connected to the correct network.
The Wemo had a problem getting set up on Android (it works on my tablet but not on my phone) so I thought I would try TP-Link. That was easy to set up for Android but now I can't get it to work with Alexa.  :-\

DParker

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:58:23 pm »
I assume you did all these things, but just in case...

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-944.html

dival

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:31:27 pm »
I am having the same issue. I have a TP-Link smart plug. It works fine with my iPhone phone but Alexa says it is offline. The plug shows green and a wifi signal and it was working with Alexa a day earlier so I don't think it's a wrong wifi connection issue. Any suggestions?

Yoda_One

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:23 pm »
Redo post 5

mavo

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:17 am »
The only way I was able to get Alexa to control the TP-Link plug again (even though it previously worked) is by going into device settings for the plug and turn off "remote control" and re-enabling "remote  control" again.  Hope this works for everyone else.

merkman

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 03:32:04 pm »
The only way I was able to get Alexa to control the TP-Link plug again (even though it previously worked) is by going into device settings for the plug and turn off "remote control" and re-enabling "remote  control" again.  Hope this works for everyone else.

Mavo,

Read the FAQ people love to quote, had the EXACT same issue as others. I'd had a TP-Link wall plug working, then added 3 light switches to my condo.  Once all 4 devices were setup and connected, they all work great in the TP-Link "Kasa" app, but when I find them (which is no problem) in Alexa's app... they show offline.  At first Alexa (via my Echo) didn't want to switch one of them on or off.  Then it quit having the error, but no matter how many times I asked her to turn 3 of the lights on or off, nothing happened.  Only the bedroom switch (which is probably the furthest away) worked fine.  I went home at lunch and checked to make sure the remote on option was selected for all 4 devices, and it was.  But I did NOT try to turn off and back on the remote functionality in the 3 switches that currently don't respond to Alexa (my Echo).  I'll definitely try that later tonight and see how it goes.  Thanks so much for your post!!!

merkman

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 09:28:32 am »
Quick update about my issue.  I'd try and turn the lamps "remote access" off with the switch under it's control screen, and I'd get an error.  Then I started getting "This device is only available locally" or "This device is not associated with your TP-Link online profile" type messages.

In the end, I deleted all my non-functional devices from Alexa, removed them from TP-Link, factory reset those devices, re-added them to TP-Link, re-discovered them in Alexa's app... and now they all work fine.

I could certainly understand why folks might get frustrated with them, because I feel like I know what I'm doing with wifi devices, and sometimes the switch wouldn't connect to the wifi on my phone without trying a couple of times, etc.  But it seems everything is working great now, and I'm really glad I stuck with it and got it setup how I wanted!  :)

cactusval

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 01:45:34 am »
In the end, I deleted all my non-functional devices from Alexa, removed them from TP-Link, factory reset those devices, re-added them to TP-Link, re-discovered them in Alexa's app... and now they all work fine.

@merkman How has this gone for you since? I'm having the same problem and factory resets didn't fix it for me, for long. Thanks.

jorleycom

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 10:40:09 am »
Hello All. I posted the same question and I think I found the answer.
Look at your gateway Routers firewall configuration. I lowered my firewall setting (one setting) and Kasa turned the Remote Control button to "On" and at all worked.

woodiebos

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 02:36:29 pm »
I have no idea why/how my bedroom lamps keep going off line but I have found a quick fix which always works for me. 1st you have to verify you are logged into the correct wi-fi network. (I have 2.4G, 5G and Comcast) I have my KASA on 2.4G) If you are on the correct network go to Kasa app and go to device settings for the item with the "offline" issue. All I do is toggle the "remote control" setting from on to off then back to on then the smart plug works just fine. Again, I have no idea how this happens because I have other connections in my  "getting smarter" home and this is the only one that drops. I swapped the bedroom plug with the kitchen plug which controls my coffee percolator and the trouble continued in the bedroom. Both the bedroom and kitchen are equal distance from the cabinet where the wi-fi hides. Ya got me but this fix ALWAYS works for me. Good luck!
-Woodie

mike27oct

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:47 pm »
@woodiebos
"1st you have to verify you are logged into the correct wi-fi network. (I have 2.4G, 5G and Comcast) "

Huh??  Except perhaps in some sort of unusual set up, the 2.4G and 5G from a single router are the "same network" just different bands, but both bands are connected to the same network.  As for your "Comcast" I presume you mean the internet from Comcast connected to your home modem/router.  If so (like most setups) the internet is also on the same home network, and they are all and the same.  So ALL can interact on the same single network.

IWishUWell

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2016, 09:18:17 pm »
 For what it's worth, I had the exact same problem. What resolved it for me was that after making sure it was on the proper network, I unplugged it and plugged it in closer to the router, then tested it with using my phone, then put it back where it was and it started working again.