Echo & Alexa Forums

Ceiling Fan Options

anthonylaizure86

Ceiling Fan Options
« on: January 05, 2019, 10:29:13 am »
Im looking to replace my ceiling fan in the livingroom with our remodel. I have dots and smartthings hub. What is the best route to go? Thank you. Would like to control fan and lights separate and be able to dim the lights.

cjw3

Re: Ceiling Fan Options
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 12:34:32 pm »
BOND  -  it looks to me that they are the only vendor offering a universal IR / RF hub that will do what you want.  Almost all other avenues require you to provide additional tech to make it work with a ceiling fan (DIY).

anthonylaizure86

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 12:52:05 pm »
BOND  -  it looks to me that they are the only vendor offering a universal IR / RF hub that will do what you want.  Almost all other avenues require you to provide additional tech to make it work with a ceiling fan (DIY).

I seen that. I pretty much just need to buy a fan that has a remote it looks like correct?

fstbusa

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:38 am »
If you're remodeling the room and tearing into the walls, I would run an extra set of wires up to the fan so I could have separate switching circuits for the fan and light.  Once you have that, you have plenty of options

anthonylaizure86

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:20:42 am »
Yea I wasn't going that far and unfortunately, I have already finished the living room just need to replace the fan. That would have been a great idea though.

fstbusa

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:23 am »
any idea how many wires are at the fan that you have to wire up?  If you have separate power wires for the fan and light, you can install a zwave relay on the lights.

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Z-Wave-Micro-Switch-relay/dp/B00R883YKU

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 05:30:51 pm »
If you get a fan with a RF or IR remote, you can get it to work with a Broadlink RM Pro hub.
Echo Dot @ SG

froglips

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:34 pm »
Not all RF remotes work with Broadlink RM.  My 6 speed DC motor fan wouldn't.  However it works great with BOND!  Easy setup and one unit can control up to 6 fans and their lights.