Echo & Alexa Forums

Logitech Harmony Hub

Martin Torres

Logitech Harmony Hub
« on: December 11, 2018, 08:27:18 pm »
Hoping someone can give me some info on the Logitech Harmony Home Hub or recommend a device to accomplish my goal of controlling my non-smart RCA TV and Sony surround sound.

We dropped DirecTV a year ago and bought a TiVo which can be controlled by Alexa. We would also like to control the surround volume and be able to turn all the devices on and off without using a smart plug and then waiting for all the devices to boot up and connect.

From what I have found digging on the web, the Harmony looks like it will accomplish this. Any input is welcome.

Re: Logitech Harmony Hub
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:45:41 am »
Harmony Hub does a ton of stuff. Controls up to 8 remote controlled devices, smart or not. Depending on HOW OLD your RCA TV is, it should be able to recognize the model number in it's database, as it has a very good TV database, as well as for any other devices such as cable and TIVO devices and such. It is easy enough to set up, over all... but requires line of sight connection just like a TV remote already requires. There is a IR blaster extension you can add to it as well (Comes with it) so you can control things inside an entertainment center cabinet as well. There are other devices, but Harmony (Logitech) has the biggest database to work with on these things... so it's a no brainer to me. If you already have all the remotes, you don't need to buy the remote + Hub, you can just buy the hub and use it with the existing remotes.

The one thing that kills me on my stuff, is when the components turn off automatically (if left sitting and not watching a show) then you have to turn them back on with the remotes that they came with in order for the Harmony to understand their correct status (on/off). If it turns it on, it thinks it is on until IT turns them off. So when the TV turns off on it's own, it has no idea this has occurred since the TV cannot share it's status with the hub... I've gotten very used to all of it and am still. very satisfied. As time goes on, and more products are produced with IOT capabilities, there will be status communication in more of the items on the market... I can't wait til I get a TV with Status Sharing... It will change the way we do things with our Entertainment center.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

fstbusa

Re: Logitech Harmony Hub
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:31:05 am »
I have the harmony hub and I have it working with echo devices just fine.  I use it to control volume and activities mainly.

The harmony hub will control all devices and settings you need to get things working.  I use it to control a tv, blueray, receiver, roku, amazon firestick, chromecast, a Tablo(OTA dvr).

Also don't worry about how old your stuff is... its likely in the database.  If its not, you can still create custom controls by teaching the system all the IR commands directly from your existing remote.  Its takes some time to setup but totally worth it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:33:51 am by fstbusa »