Echo & Alexa Forums

Remote Access

Martin Torres

Remote Access
« on: December 10, 2018, 06:18:17 pm »
Hi. New here. Can someone point me in the right direction to get information about controlling my Echo remotely when we are away from the house?

We have had our Echo for a year and have a couple smart light bulbs and plugs. This Christmas my wife and I want to purchase other smart accessories such as a thermostat, light switches, door locks, etc instead of buying Christmas presents for each other. We want to be able to access them  when we are away (especially the locks and thermostat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

buffaloquinn

Re: Remote Access
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:58:03 pm »
I assume you must have the Alexa app running on something like a phone or tablet. Most smarthome devices you can control with Echo can be controlled by the Alexa app as well. You can also set up timers/schedules with the native smarthome apps too.

Martin Torres

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 09:59:57 pm »
I assume you must have the Alexa app running on something like a phone or tablet. Most smarthome devices you can control with Echo can be controlled by the Alexa app as well. You can also set up timers/schedules with the native smarthome apps too.

I have the Alexa app on my iPhone. I misread some info that I had to be on the same wifi network. Appreciate the info.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 04:27:50 am »
what you want to do really depends on the smart devices.   some you will be able to make changes remotely using the alexa app.  others though you may be able to do somethings via the alexa app, you may need to use the specific devices app to change settings.

BUT anything you can do with your voice, can be done with your voice remotely.  when you open the alexa app, you will get a button in notifications that you tap when you want to give it voice commands. 

JacquelineF

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:15:41 am »
Yes, you can access all your smart home devices with alexa app. But the condition is your alexa app is always on working mode. Merry Christmas in Advance. 

Art

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 12:49:57 pm »
Hi Martin

If you have not alreadt bought a smart thermostat already then seriously consider a sonoff wireless relay.
They cost less than £5.00 from ebay and are so easy to install.  It is driven by the eWeLink app from your phone and intergrates with Alexa.
I cant speak too highly of these relays.  See Manufacturers website at www.etead.cc for all there different devices,

fstbusa

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 08:40:49 am »
personally if I wanted to access my devices outside my home, I wouldn't be looking at anything thru the echo.... get a home automation system such as Smartthings.  Its compatible with echo devices and you can access anything on your system anywhere you have an internet/data connection.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 01:27:04 pm »
Not only can you access you Alexa app from both home network or any other wi-fi network, you can ajso access it from your cell data plan.  We do this frequently.

Here is how to "simulate" testing access to Alexa from Timbuktu from the comfort of your living room. 
First, turn OFF the wi-fi in your phone so your only access will be via your cell plan.
Turn on phone's Alexa app.
Now, send Alexa through her tricks to confirm what works.  Also try other smart home apps (e.g. Kasa for smart plugs) to check that they work, too.
When you are finished, remember to turn phone wi-fi back on.

mywifiexthelp

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:12:57 pm »
yes you can access all your smart home devices with alexa app download. But the condition is your alexa app is always on working mode..thank you