Echo & Alexa Forums

Expanding my echo

Chris1985

Expanding my echo
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:52:51 pm »
Hello all and happy to have joined. I have just got the echo 2nd generation and I am looking into getting some sockets and light switches. What I am asking is what hub do is best so I can link everything. I didn’t go with the latest echo as only bonus is the built in hub bum I’m told it was limited, so I went with the latter I just need to know which is a good one to go with

Re: Expanding my echo
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:10 pm »
there are so many different devices out there that it is hard to choose.  the following article from cnet is a good place to start.  They pretty much keep updating the article.
https://www.cnet.com/smart-home/

my suggestion is to avoid alexa only devices like the amazon plugs in case you ever decided to ditch alexa in the future for something else.   Also try to get two brands of everything in case one brand stops supporting their connected device. I have been burned in the past with tcp connected with they stopped supporting their smartbulbs.   It was expensive to replace the 15+ bulbs I had.    Also there are bulbs, switches and plugs out there that do not require hubs, the cost is higher when needing several(though some prices have gone down) so be sure to compare the cost of a hub and devices with devices that does not need a hub when buying bulk.   Finally if you are not sure if something will work with alexa, go to amazons website, search to see if they sell the device, if so, it will state whether or not it is alexa compatible. 

Personally I have wemo and tp-link plugs, cree, ge, and hue lights and honeywell thermostat.  Also I use a wink hub.  have absolutely no problems with any of them, other than what I cause  :-)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:53:26 pm by renegade600 »

dragon123

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 06:49:48 pm »
Hello all and happy to have joined. I have just got the echo 2nd generation and I am looking into getting some sockets and light switches. What I am asking is what hub do is best so I can link everything. I didn’t go with the latest echo as only bonus is the built in hub bum I’m told it was limited, so I went with the latter I just need to know which is a good one to go with

For sockets and light switches, I would recommend philips hue. For the sockets, osram smartplugs will integrate in hue (as will their smart led strips but you could also stay with hue).

I'm using my 2nd bridge now, as I have a lot of different lights, motion sensors in hallways and stairs and also a number of computers, printers and other appliances I can now turn on using my voice  8)

There are cheaper alternatives to be had, but hue just WORKS.
Nice features include geotagging, timers (also good when on holiday) and they keep on adding features.
Also you can get apps for a nice xmas/halloween/firelight/disco/... effect in your home which I personally like (plus the kids).

If you want to control things like water sensors, windows/door sensors, your blinds etc you would need another hub. But for lights and sockets, nothing beats hue IMO  :)

Chris1985

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 04:53:06 am »
Cheers for all the feedback guys, really helpful. I was thinking about the Philips as well, I was thinking of lightwave sockets and some mihome switches.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 09:56:48 am »
I'm All Hue with Lighting - I am Harmony Hub fro entertainment controls... other than that, I haven't put in for outlets or sockets... so I'm not much help there. Hue does mostly "just work", but I kind of hope for a HUE PRO bridge one day so you don't need multiple bridges if you exceed 50 or so items. With any additional accessories the current bridge can quickly require a buddy to help handle the loads.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!