Echo & Alexa Forums

Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)

RogerTheShrubber

Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:04:13 am »
I know that an Echo can pair with a bluetooth audio source, so if you have a single audio input you'd like to play on a single Echo you can use a bluetooth transmitter. But I'm getting multiple Echos around the house and wanting to find a way that I can stream audio from an external device to multiple Echos, either one at a time or as a group with multi-room audio.

(And before anybody tells me, yes I know I can probably find whatever I have on vinyl on Spotify or whatever. I'm using that, too. I just LIKE vinyl for the fun of it and want to stream it around the house if possible.)

buffaloquinn

Re: Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:14 pm »
At the moment I don't believe that is possible. There are multiple ways to stream your own music to an Echo device from a server, (Plex & MyMedia are 2 examples), but Amazon doesn't allow multi-device for anything like that. You're really looking for a solution that will 'push' content to the devices & I don't see that happening any time soon. What would be neat is a 'Bluetooth Server.' A device that broadcast audio content via Bluetooth & allowed multiple devices to receive the signal, be it Echos or other Bluetooth speakers.

RogerTheShrubber

Re: Multi-Room Audio from External Input (e.g. vinyl)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
Yeah, that's what I thought, but I was hoping for a solution. I know a couple Sonos products have a line in, which they can then beam to other Sonos speakers. And Apple's HomePods support multi-room audio over airplay, so in theory you could use a Raspberry Pi with an open source airplay server to feed to that (although I don't know if you need Airplay 2 for multi-room audio). Of course both Sonos and HomePod are MUCH more expensive than what I was planning, so definitely a no-go on those.

Oh well, I might go the bluetooth transmitter route so I can at least stream wirelessly to one speaker.