Echo & Alexa Forums

Confused about separate accounts, Spotify?

cessna1466u

Confused about separate accounts, Spotify?
« on: November 13, 2018, 12:53:15 am »
Hey all, hopefully I posted this in the right forum. We just got into the Echo products and when we do things we go all out. I got a Show for the kitchen, Echo Gen 2 for the livingroom, spot for the bedroom and the kids got dots for their rooms. We already have a bunch of smartthings lights, switches, etc so this was the next step in "making our home smart". What we are having issues with is the music playing. We have a premium family account with Spotify and each of us has our own account and playlists, favorites, stations, etc on spotify.  Right now we used one of the 6 member accounts to add to our Alexa account. The problem is that when I play a song in the kitchen and one for the kids decides they want a song in their room it stops playing my song. So my question is this. Can we set up a different spotify account for each echo device? Would we have to create separate family accounts and use that account on that echo device, then tell alexa to change accounts every time we want to use a specific account? Here is how we would ideally want it to work. Any suggestions?

Echo in Garage with my spotify account.
Echo Show inthe  kitchen with " Alexa" named spotify account.
Echo in living room with same as the  kitchen.
Spot in our bedroom with wife's account.
Dots in kids bedrooms with their own spotify accounts.

Is this even possible?

Jerome

Re: Confused about separate accounts, Spotify?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:38:19 am »
Yes, it's possible even though I have not yet been able to finalize the process.
I also have Spotify Family accounts.

You need to go to your Alexa app, to Settings, Alexa account > Household and invite your relatives.
https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings/myh/invite
Note that each person you add will need to have an Amazon account and log into it at that point.
This is where I stopped because Alexa starts asking that new member to configure the Echo device and I didn't want to break my configuration.
I'm not sure why it's asking this since my Echo devices are already configured  ???
But that might be the normal process...

In the end you're supposed to say "Alexa, switch accounts" in order to identify yourself (based on vocal recognition ?) and then be able to use the Spotify account linked to that profile.
Maybe you can set up your household outside the Alexa app/website by going directly to :
https://www.amazon.com/myh/households

Please let us know if you succeed in this process  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:40:02 am by Jerome »

Jerome

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 05:03:39 pm »
OK, I tried again tonight.
From the Alexa app in my browser (desktop), I was able to invite my wife who typed in her Amazon account (members of the household you invite need to be on the same country as the host)
I noticed some funky behavior the 1st time (ie entering the Configuration mode) which I canceled.
The second time it went through though and I got a successful message within the Alexa app.
I am able to switch accounts vocally just by saying "Alexa, switch accounts" but there is no way to link my wife's spotify account to my Echos in either the desktop website or the smartphone app.
After googling some more, it seems like you cannot have household members use their Spotify on Echo devices which are linked to the original owner's Spotify account (not sure I'm clear lol).
https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/95rqzz/can_i_use_the_same_spotify_family_account_on/
Apparently that's 1 Spotify account per Amazon account ie per device (each member of the family would have his/her device with his/her Amazon account on it and his/her Spotify account linked to it)
But I want to keep my Echo devices all under my Amazon account for management reasons and multiroom capability obviously.
Shame :'(

[Edit] OK, I think this whole thing might work with Amazon Music because I have a dropdown list with my name and my wife's name under : https://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#music/PRIME_MUSIC/stations
X's music library
Y's music library

But neither of us are Prime member to test this  :-\
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:17:08 pm by Jerome »

cessna1466u

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:05:27 am »
Thanks for the replies Jerome I didn't get notification that you replied so I didnt see it sooner. From what I can see online and redditt you are correct, one spotify acccount per household no matter which amazon account you are using on the device. The spotify account is setup on main amazon account/device so it is always there.

We do have Prime and have 6months of free family plan music so I might have to try that instead of Spotify, hate to say it but I have found that Amazon has quite a few songs that Spotify doesn't.