Echo & Alexa Forums

Side by Side Alexas

jmhine

Side by Side Alexas
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:25:51 am »
I have an Echo Dot in my shop.  My wife likes to watch TV while cooking.  So I connected a SONOS Beam (with built-in Alexa) to the TV in the Kitchen thinking that she could "Drop in" on my shop DOT to inform me that dinner's ready.
Only to discover that the Beam doesn't support "Drop in".  So now I'm wondering if I were to put another Dot next to the Beam how would the side by side Alexas handle requests.  Would one just say "not available on this device" at the same time as the other says "OK"?

Offline kenf

Re: Side by Side Alexas
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:56:16 am »
the usual trick is to change the wake word on one of the two devices (I don't think non-Amazon devices can change the wake word or doe drop-in and maybe one other feature).  I'm not sure what a Beam is, other than it must have a screen and you can watch TV on it.   The Show/Show2 might not satisfy her TV watching, but it can be handy for kitchen use.

side note: non-Amazon Alexas can't do everything an Amazon made one can do.

It's a reason I don't even look at those kind of products. I'd rather a product work WITH my echo network, not try to do what they do in a haphazard or redundant way.  I think that's why Amazon made the microwave and clock, to show manufacturers a different way to think.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:02:33 pm »
sono beam is a tv soundbar - no screen unless connected to one.

as far as the original question" Would one just say "not available on this device" at the same time as the other says "OK"?", normally one would reply and the other would keep quiet.   But since one would be a third party device, who knows what it would do unless you give it a try.  however as previously suggested, you can change the wakeup word for one.

jmhine

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:48:57 pm »
" however as previously suggested, you can change the wakeup word for one."
That would work great!    I didn't know it was possible to change the wakeup word for each individually.

JH