Echo & Alexa Forums

My echo not so smart

Kempkalm

My echo not so smart
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:05:18 am »
Good day everyone, I have an echo. Which I love but she's not so bright.she will answer questions like what the weather is or how many cups are in a quart and she does all her skills real well but many many things I asked her she says she does not know that one. For example I asked Google on my phone where there was a good spa and it came up with several. Then I tried it with the Echo. And she did not know. Is this normal?

Offline jwlv

Re: My echo not so smart
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 11:49:17 am »
Well Amazon isn't an advertising company in the way Google is. So if you're asking for a good spa you probably won't get much of an answer. Ask Google and you might get the highest bidder.

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 01:04:25 pm »
Good day everyone, I have an echo. Which I love but she's not so bright.she will answer questions like what the weather is or how many cups are in a quart and she does all her skills real well but many many things I asked her she says she does not know that one. For example I asked Google on my phone where there was a good spa and it came up with several. Then I tried it with the Echo. And she did not know. Is this normal?

since google owns their own search engine, it is a whole lot easier for it to give answers.  It is like the difference between a person with a dictionary and a person without one.   If you ask both how to spell something, it is easier for the person with the dictionary to spell it.   the echo is a whole lot better than it was a few years ago and it will only get better.

Kempkalm

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »
Ok thanks guys

Offline kenf

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:04 am »
Nice analogy!

I think the advantage Google has with search is going to be a factor for some folks.  I know parents who got Google Home because their kids can ask it questions for schoolwork and such, where Alexa would be more likely to fail at more of those.

Kempkalm

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 10:27:35 am »
Ok got it thanks!