Poll

Is multi-room music broken for you?

Yes
No

Multi room music not working with Google Mesh WiFi

iolinux333

Multi room music not working with Google Mesh WiFi
« on: November 03, 2018, 12:38:08 am »
Ditching worthless routers and replacing with Google WiFi has just been the best thing EVER, except for one thing.

Multi room music just flat out won't work any more. I think it's because even though the SSID is the same throughout the house, different echos are connecting to different individual nodes.

Any ideas?

Amazon is going to have to fix this at some point... everything is going to be mesh pretty soon.

I can't imagine anyone going with the old fashioned single point any more since mesh is getting so cheap.

iolinux333

Re: Multi room music not working with Google Mesh WiFi
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 01:08:17 am »
Update:

Even trying to remake multi room music groups causes several echos to lock up completely, requiring reboots.

Ouch.

Is multi room music still working for everyone else?

opsman0001

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:32:46 am »
No - it is not working. Alexa app online says my devices are not connected even though under settings, they are all showing online and under Multi room music they are all there enabled and online. There have been some odd things happening over the last week or 2 with the app.

Update:

Even trying to remake multi room music groups causes several echos to lock up completely, requiring reboots.

Ouch.

Is multi room music still working for everyone else?

cyberprashant

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:02:12 pm »
Ditching worthless routers and replacing with Google WiFi has just been the best thing EVER, except for one thing.

Multi room music just flat out won't work any more. I think it's because even though the SSID is the same throughout the house, different echos are connecting to different individual nodes.

Any ideas?

Amazon is going to have to fix this at some point... everything is going to be mesh pretty soon.

I can't imagine anyone going with the old fashioned single point any more since mesh is getting so cheap.

i'm having problems with ORBI and a large number of amazon echo's - the multi room music works and then stops or wont play at all.  many of the times its hard to create a group with all the devices.  It must have somiething to do with mesh Wifi

iolinux333

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 05:14:54 am »
I’ve just been experimenting with this again.  It’s still a mess.  I don’t think it has anything to do with my wifi anymore.  It just seems to have broken with the redesign of the app. 

It’s a shame really, multi-room music was amazing.

I waited for it for years, was so happy when it finally happened.

I wonder what happened to break it?

opsman0001

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 05:40:09 pm »
I don't remember where I found the answer at but I resolved my same issue using the Linksys Velop Mesh system by resetting each Amazon device (they store old SSID/PW's) and putting them on the new network setup. As I did each one, I also told it not to remember the PW to my Amazon account. Has worked flawless since.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 05:46:14 pm »
I am sure glad I live in a small apartment where a mesh is not needed.  from reading postings here and other places, it can give headaches to smarthome users  :-)

buffaloquinn

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 06:04:08 pm »
I'm in a two story home with a main router/wifi & two additional access points. All use the same SSID and I am having no issues with multi - room music. All Christmas Eve & Day I played Holiday music on my Everywhere Group which includes a Show, a Spot, an Echo Dot (2nd gen) & two Dots (3rd gen) spread out through the house.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 06:07:16 pm »
I'm in a two story home with a main router/wifi & two additional access points. All use the same SSID and I am having no issues with multi - room music. All Christmas Eve & Day I played Holiday music on my Everywhere Group which includes a Show, a Spot, an Echo Dot (2nd gen) & two Dots (3rd gen) spread out through the house.

the trick is to have every device located properly.  I think that is where most problems lie - bad locations from routers to echos