Echo & Alexa Forums

bit of a scare

bit of a scare
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:14:54 pm »
had a bit of a scare today with alexa.  None of my smart home devices was working.  thought at first it was a wink hub problem.  it was blue like it should be but after a power cycle it stayed yellow.  then tried the hue lights and they would not work either.   power cycle the router then tested the signal next to the different smart devices and did not see any problems with signal.   tried google home and nothing worked with it either.  checked to see if my wireless computers and other wireless devices was working and they were.  finally said heck with it and went out and got something to eat and looked at router prices just in case the problem was with the router. 

got home and everything was was working again. maybe everything was updating at the same time.    don't know what happened but whatever it was, I hope it don't happen again. 

Laurel

Re: bit of a scare
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 06:17:02 pm »
Renegade glad to hear it was a brief glitch!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:54:53 am »
Loss of internet service temporarily? I have had brief moments of your symptoms maybe 2 times in 2 years. when it happened, I was missing internet completely. Although I didn't;t go through all of my "smart" products, I suspect they were mostly affected, but I think I remember some of the stuff was still working at least one of those times...

I can't wait until we do away with wired internet access, and we are all completely LTE at full speed. But I fear that is a long way off and likely to have even bigger impacts under failures.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

froglips

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:40:45 pm »
Wink API was not working for a while yesterday.
From Wink site:  Past Incidents
Oct 18, 2018
Connectivity Issues
Resolved - This issue has been resolved.
Oct 18, 21:48 UTC
Update - An upstream provider of the Wink Platform is continuing to experience connectivity issues. We are monitoring the situation.
Oct 18, 19:41 UTC
Identified - We have identified the issue and are implementing a fix.
Oct 18, 14:05 UTC
Investigating - We are currently investigating an issue that is preventing users from controlling devices remotely.
Oct 18, 13:06 UTC

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:32:44 pm »
Loss of internet service temporarily? I have had brief moments of your symptoms maybe 2 times in 2 years. when it happened, I was missing internet completely. Although I didn't;t go through all of my "smart" products, I suspect they were mostly affected, but I think I remember some of the stuff was still working at least one of those times...

I can't wait until we do away with wired internet access, and we are all completely LTE at full speed. But I fear that is a long way off and likely to have even bigger impacts under failures.

don't think it was the internet.  it was working. 

as far as lte, wait til g5, that could be the start of the end of wired connections. 

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:35:38 pm »
Wink API was not working for a while yesterday.
From Wink site:  Past Incidents
Oct 18, 2018
Connectivity Issues
Resolved - This issue has been resolved.
Oct 18, 21:48 UTC
Update - An upstream provider of the Wink Platform is continuing to experience connectivity issues. We are monitoring the situation.
Oct 18, 19:41 UTC
Identified - We have identified the issue and are implementing a fix.
Oct 18, 14:05 UTC
Investigating - We are currently investigating an issue that is preventing users from controlling devices remotely.
Oct 18, 13:06 UTC

this could have been part of the problem because it happened within that time frame but my problem also affected the philips hue which has its own hub. 

Offline jwlv

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:25:13 pm »
A lot of services are tied into the same network or server farm. For example, when Amazon AWS has issues, it often affects several other sites such as Netflix, CNN, Ebay, etc. It happens way more often than people think. Quite often outages are kept rather quiet, except when people report it on forums. It almost never makes the news unless it is a major outage like the one described in the Forbes article below.

Here's an article from Forbes about Amazon AWS having problems that took down Netflix in 2012. It also took down hundreds (or thousands) of other sites but no one talks about that. It was the 3rd time that AWS went down in 2012. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/12/24/amazon-aws-takes-down-netflix-on-christmas-eve

Several other cloud service provider companies include Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, IBM Cloud, etc. I don't know what cloud service Wink uses, but it is possible that it uses the same one as Philips.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:19:27 pm »
I was aware of the netflix and amazon relationship.  I remember back when amazon was accused of taking down netflix during the holiday season.  it was interesting read at the time.   You are right, it is something to consider with what happened to me.