Echo & Alexa Forums

How to take Echo on trips

jayzee

How to take Echo on trips
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:56:24 pm »
I'd like to take an Echo device on some of our travels, a larger device since I want it for our music files as well as for some news radio.  (This rules out the smaller, lighter devices.)  Is there a technique on resetting the WiFi for each location?  I'm sure there is some technique for easily changing the WiFi name/password for a new location without resetting the WiFi for all the other Echos remaining at home.

I hope some user out there has found a way to do this.

Thanks in advance

mike27oct

Re: How to take Echo on trips
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
Easy.  We will take Alexa with us on vacation next week  We have done so a few times.Where space is an issue like on plane  I pack an Dot, but for car travel we bring the portable Tap.  Big Echo always stays home.

All you do is connect to the new wi-fi with device.  It will remember the setting when you return to same place.  When you get home device will reconnect to home network again.  The other thing you can do is set the time zone and location so you get the time and weather for Hawaii and not home in Fargo, ND.  You will have to change these back when you get home. Just be sure to bring power supply, too.  If you change locations while on trip, you will need to change wi-fi and location again.  Refresh yourself on how to do all this before you leave home!

Offline kenf

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:52:27 pm »
I'm supposed to get my new ISP today, which means re-connecting all my Echoes to the new wifi.

So hopefully somebody knows a shortcut, otherwise I'm about to become very knowledgable about how to change the wifi on Echo soon... :)

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:00:28 pm »
Shortcut is to give same name (SSID) and password as old network to the new network!

Offline kenf

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 09:52:51 am »
Shortcut is to give same name (SSID) and password as old network to the new network!

Yeah, I've considered that, but I never liked the original SSID which came from the original router, and this is a good time to make the change.  Providing the new ISP can actually get it working.  Figure the hardware got here Saturday and they have to send a 4th guy out to fix the line some more before I can use it.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:22:01 pm »

Yeah, I've considered that, but I never liked the original SSID which came from the original router, and this is a good time to make the change.  Providing the new ISP can actually get it working.  Figure the hardware got here Saturday and they have to send a 4th guy out to fix the line some more before I can use it.

in that case, there is really no shortcut.  still, it should not take long to change them all.   just remember you will be resetting the tv, dvd, streaming, computer, phones or any other wireless smart device you have. 

Offline kenf

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 11:05:50 am »
In case this helps the OP, here's the link to changing WiFi on a Dot/Echo
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201549640

If you have a screened Echo (Spot/Show), you use the settings UI to change the Wifi, and you have to re-login to Amazon.

Not particularly hard. Tedious if you have a lot of devices... :)