Echo & Alexa Forums

How do I get Alexa to play a sound clip?

justcrash

How do I get Alexa to play a sound clip?
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:51 am »
Hello all. If this is not in the right sub forum, please feel free to move, or close and let me know where I could recreate it.

Here is the scenario: I recently went through and redid the lights in my action figure display cases (yes, I am a nerd). The lights are alexa controlled. What I'd like to be able to do, for instance, is say something like, "Alexa, I have a bad feeling about this" and have her turn the lights red and play the Imperial March (for a few seconds, not the whole piece, obviously). I've googled this, and it looks like people are editing code of some kind (looks like HTML but I know it's not), but I've not seen a step by step set of instructions for the process. The articles all seem to start from the basis that the end user already knows where/how to type Alexa code.

How can I accomplish this? I first thought it would be as simple as hosting an MP3 file somewhere, go into the app, tell it what I want it to do and enter the URL for the audio wave. That does not appear to be the case.

heydj23

Re: How do I get Alexa to play a sound clip?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:40:54 pm »
have you tried to do this with a "routine", it seems like all of that would be possible by creating a routine.  The only part I am not certain about is the sound clip.  The phrase, and adjusting lights is a no brainer.   I play ambient rainstorm sounds and various other things using the routines, so I am thinking that is the answer.  Let me know if that works or helps at all. 

Re: How do I get Alexa to play a sound clip?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 04:01:54 pm »
have you tried to do this with a "routine", it seems like all of that would be possible by creating a routine.  The only part I am not certain about is the sound clip.  The phrase, and adjusting lights is a no brainer.   I play ambient rainstorm sounds and various other things using the routines, so I am thinking that is the answer.  Let me know if that works or helps at all. 

routine would work if the music is in one of the music services that can be accessed by alexa.  the problem would be you will get the whole thing