Echo & Alexa Forums

amazon releasing more echo devices

amazon releasing more echo devices
« on: September 17, 2018, 05:55:44 pm »
just ran across an article that says amazon will be announcing eight new devices this month.  It will be interesting to see what they will be. 

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/17/amazon-launch-eight-alexa-devices/

mike27oct

Re: amazon releasing more echo devices
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:11:12 pm »
Saw in news the last hour one product will be an Alexa controlled microwave.  "Alexa, warm my coffee!"  Wow, how exciting is this?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:13 am »
A microwave signal is the natural enemy of WiFi, at least on 2.4GHz. A typical microwave oven is around 1000-1200 watts. That much power can easily interfere with a WiFi router, which is usually measured in milliwatts of power. We used to have buffering problems watching Netflix whenever someone is using the microwave oven. I wonder how Amazon will solve the problem with having a WiFi antenna on or near the microwave oven itself.

Offline kenf

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:36:36 am »
I dunno.  I'm not that interested in 3rd party devices with Echo built-in.  Some of the Echo features weren't supported in 3rd party stuff.  Plus, at this point, I have echo in every room.  More than that is too much.

I'm happy to see stuff that works with Alexa, but really, I stick to z-wave or zigbee based stuff that works with my smart hub, regardless of other factors.

dragon123

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 05:48:05 pm »
I dunno.  I'm not that interested in 3rd party devices with Echo built-in.  Some of the Echo features weren't supported in 3rd party stuff. 

I have a vobot alarm clock that can't do spotify, but is a much cheaper alternative than the spot.

In my car I have this small mount called Logitech Zero Touch that does handsfree alexa, I wave at my phone and voila. Again, no spotify which certainly is annoying in the car, but I like the general idea a lot. I would buy a good alexa solution for my car  :)

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »
I am hoping for a robot that will follow you around as one of the 8  :-)

dxguy

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:27:04 pm »
I am hoping for a robot that will follow you around as one of the 8  :-)

That would be the next Alexa device I buy if it was some kind of robot that can follow me or come to me when I call for it.

Offline kenf

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 03:42:04 pm »
https://www.engadget.com/tag/alexa2018/

there's the article that covers what they actually announced.

For me, here's what caught my interest:
the wall clock.  I've got a dumb one above my TV (the only actual clock in my house).  If it could collate timer status from all the Alexa's that'd be double-handy, as odds are good we're watching TV while waiting for the oven or laundry to finish.

Guard: seems like a simple software upgrade to talk to my alarm company

Input: the stereo add-on.  A lot of people bought Dots to connect to their sterero.  This is even better than a Dot for that purpose.

Microwave: if I didn't have a working over-the-stove microwave, I'd give this a serious consideration to replace it.

Maybe For Some People Items:
Better Show: who doesn't want a bigger screen.  We like the Show in our kitchen.

Echo Plus2: offline command support is a really big deal for some people.  If this thing had z-Wave, I'd give it serious thought to replace my SmartThings hub when it dies.  Maybe when the Echo+4 comes out?

Echo Auto: this is probably the smoothest way to add Echo to a car.  Do I need it?  No, I only listen to NPR in my car.

The Meh:
Smart Plug: these already exist and everybody has them.  I do Z-wave only because it's a standard technology that talks to my hub.

Sub: the kind of person who needs a sub for music probably has a stereo and there's bluetooth, cable or the Input for that...

Ring camera: not sure how this is Alexa awesome

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:22:11 pm »
https://www.engadget.com/tag/alexa2018/

there's the article that covers what they actually announced.

For me, here's what caught my interest:
the wall clock.  I've got a dumb one above my TV (the only actual clock in my house).  If it could collate timer status from all the Alexa's that'd be double-handy, as odds are good we're watching TV while waiting for the oven or laundry to finish.

Guard: seems like a simple software upgrade to talk to my alarm company

Input: the stereo add-on.  A lot of people bought Dots to connect to their sterero.  This is even better than a Dot for that purpose.

Microwave: if I didn't have a working over-the-stove microwave, I'd give this a serious consideration to replace it.

Maybe For Some People Items:
Better Show: who doesn't want a bigger screen.  We like the Show in our kitchen.

Echo Plus2: offline command support is a really big deal for some people.  If this thing had z-Wave, I'd give it serious thought to replace my SmartThings hub when it dies.  Maybe when the Echo+4 comes out?

Echo Auto: this is probably the smoothest way to add Echo to a car.  Do I need it?  No, I only listen to NPR in my car.

The Meh:
Smart Plug: these already exist and everybody has them.  I do Z-wave only because it's a standard technology that talks to my hub.

Sub: the kind of person who needs a sub for music probably has a stereo and there's bluetooth, cable or the Input for that...

Ring camera: not sure how this is Alexa awesome

smart plugs may already exist but none sets up as easy as the amazon one.  One thing though, I doubt it will work with google home so if you have other smart systems, forget it. 

plus 2 has an offline feature so it would come in handy when internet is out.  of all the new devices, this is the one I would most likely get. 

there are two new features I like and hope will work on older devices, skype and guard.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:54 am »
the new devices will be released on October 11.    the echo amp and link most likely be released next year.  there is a disclaimer on the amazon site that they have not been approved by the fcc yet.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 01:37:26 pm »
The only one that really piques my interest is the Echo Auto. And it's slated to be cheap too. I'm not fond of the device appearance and "mounting" and wiring, but can see the potential in it... and can completely understand why one might want it. I JUST (a couple of hours ago) bought new tires and wheels for my Toyota pickup, due to age rotted rubber on the old tires and a bunch of damage to one rim by one of the shops it has been in ... This makes me "need" to keep my truck a while longer than I had thought I would originally, so getting the "add-on" would be pretty cool and appears it will be very quick to connect and be ready to use upon vehicle start-up.

Say's it will be able to hear you over road noise and music and stuff as well... but don't they all.

I think I can work out a really good installation of the device so it looks more like it belongs, than how they have it mounted in their "ad". Probably above the windshield in the overhead panel designed for holding sunglasses.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2018, 10:45:03 pm »
Yep! I signed up for the Echo Auto too. The other devices are just novelty, whereas the Echo Auto could actually be useful. I already have an Echo Dot in my car. While everything is working great, the only issue is that no Echo devices have location awareness when mobile. So if I ask for a Costco location, Alexa will give me the one nearest my home address rather than where I am currently driving. I think that the Echo Auto will take advantage of GPS location data from the smartphone so that it will have location awareness.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 11:01:01 am »
I think that the Echo Auto will take advantage of GPS location data from the smartphone so that it will have location awareness.

That's kind of what I was hoping too... I signed up yesterday as well. Already got a "Maybe you'll be chosen" email.
Likely they will want everyone who asks, to have one. this is another beta testing item in my guestimations... This one I am gladly a beta tester too.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 04:25:08 am »
was looking at the echo input.  I wonder if it would have the same moister issues the dot has.  I wonder how long it would last in areas that might have some fine dust or steam.  don't always need speakers to turn lights on/off