Echo & Alexa Forums

JBL Link View vs Lenovo Smart Display

al9107

JBL Link View vs Lenovo Smart Display
« on: August 29, 2018, 01:44:02 am »
Just read the early review of the JBL Link View on CNET and there were comparisons drawn between the LSD and JBL (as expected when both are powered by Google). Now I'm a user of the LSD so the JBL that's pretty similar definitely caught my attention as well.

Now i'm curious - would you prefer a smart display with an audio focus (JBL with better sound) or a smart display with a visual focus (LSD with a larger screen)?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 04:04:52 am by al9107 »

asianrocker

Re: JBL Link View vs Lenovo Smart Display
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 09:08:17 am »
IMO smart display is not necessary and a waste of money. Not the answer you want but there it is.

I would be disappointed if this becomes the next trend which it seems like since now everyone is releasing their own smart display.

I mean wow what a waste.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:10:16 am by asianrocker »

al9107

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 11:27:01 pm »
IMO smart display is not necessary and a waste of money. Not the answer you want but there it is.

I would be disappointed if this becomes the next trend which it seems like since now everyone is releasing their own smart display.

I mean wow what a waste.

Curious to hear why you'd feel this way about smart displays - care to share more? :) It definitely looks like it's becoming a trend - rumors has it that Google will be launching their own.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:32:04 am »
It basically is a glorified tablet and/or smartphone.

Have you tried Google Assistant on your phone/tablet? Did you see any feature in your smart display that Google Assistant can't do? I mean there is a reason why they are all powered by Google.

How about Cortana on your laptop?

I didn't jump on echo trend right away coz there's nothing it can do that was revolutionary. But I gave in a year later since I don't have a BT speaker. I mean I only use my echo for 3 things and for the most part it is deaf.

I just don't see a smart display adding something my current gadgets can't do.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:40:57 am by asianrocker »

al9107

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 10:46:17 pm »
You're right - there are many overlapping features between smart phones/tablets and smart displays. But many of the features on smart displays are enhanced for the purpose of being a home assistant imo. For example, I don't need to tap my phone to activate the Google assistant function when using the smart display and I can call out commands from much further away. Since my Lenovo smart display sits on my kitchen counter, this is useful because my hands are usually busy (chopping/stirring, oily/sticky or even carrying my kid, you name it haha) and I wouldn't want to keep touching my phone to read the recipe/google for a ingredient substitute. I guess it's the constant availability of the device to attend to my needs that makes smart displays appealing for me.

My house didn't have much to work with in the beginning but we slowly added more smart plugs and lights around which is probably why we benefit from using smart assistants/displays more and more. Definitely made things more convenient for us!