Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Controlling 2 separate manufacturers of light

Houston.Brown

Controlling 2 separate manufacturers of light
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:35:06 pm »
I really have 2 issues here but first let me explain what I am trying to do and what I have tried.

I have lots of the Lutron light switches around the house and they work fine with Alexa. I also have a LIFX light strip. I can control that also with Alexa. I have Sonos and I can control that as well. My point is it all works. So now I want to say a command "Bike ride" for example. I wan certain lights in the house come on a a certain dim level, I want Sonos to come on and play a channel on Pandora, and I want the LIFX light to come on at a certain level. So I have set up a Scene in the Lutron App to turn on the lights I want at the level I want. Also in the Lutron app scene, I can have it play a certain channel through my Sonos. So far so good.

First Issue:
I go into the Lexa app and discover scenes. It picks up the Lutron scene called "Bike ride". When I say "Alexa, Bike Ride" all I get is the "hmmm...." or show goes into some other mistaken response. If I say "Bicycle On" (yes I renamed the scene in the Alexas app) it says, "Sorry, I'm not sure". If I say, "Alexa, turn on Bicycle" it works. Why?????? Why do I have to say "turn on" at all. I have other grouns that I can just say the Scene name and it works just fine. I can say "Good Morning" and it executes that scene just fine. I don't have to say "Turn on good morning".

Second issue:
So now I want to add the LIFX lights to this scene. I am at a loss on how to do this. I can not CREATE a scene, I can only discover one. If I create a scene in Lutron (already done) and one in LIFX then Alexa pulls them in as separate of course. So can I not do what I am trying to do?

Many thanks,
Houston

Offline jwlv

Re: Controlling 2 separate manufacturers of light
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
Here's a solution for your first issue.

In the alexa app, set up a routine so that Alexa knows exactly what to do when you say a certain phrase. So in your case, you should set up a routine that will respond to the phrase "bike ride". The routine will then perform Bicycle On from your scene.

In general , just because Alexa responds successfully to a certain phrase like "good morning" doesn't mean it'll respond successfully for other phrases like "bike ride". Not all words/phrases are weighted equally. Every word has a priority level. But that's something Amazon keeps to itself.

For the second issue, in the same routine just add the 2nd scene.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:48:05 pm by jwlv »

Houston.Brown

Re: Controlling 2 separate manufacturers of light
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:10:12 pm »
jwlv,
Thank you for the quick response. Right after I posed this I found the answer and you are correct. Routines was the answer to both of these actually. I can now say "Bike ride" and all I want to happen, happens.

Thank you.