Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

I'm at wit's end with my 2nd Gen Echo Dot

RajS_Lafayette

I'm at wit's end with my 2nd Gen Echo Dot
« on: August 14, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »
My 2nd Gen E-Dot worked fine for a while. Sadly, I had the temerity to move it. However it continued to work okay in my house. Where my chutzpah caught up with me, was when we went to NYC and I tried to activate it in our hotel. Ooops. Big mistake. I should have left it behind (I was hoping it would continue to play iHeartRadio, which might have been a nice thing in our room.)

Now that it's back here in my house in Lafayette Indiana, it won't do anything. Yes, I've read the help pages. I've simultaneously pressed the "mike off" and "volume down" buttons as I've been advised to do so, right here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202080910

And yes, I have followed the advice in the app. I would like to respectfully request anyone who replies to this post to refrain from sending me to this page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202189140

I'm not sure what I can say to persuade anyone that I'm not an idiot. I have availed myself of all assistance that I can find. Moreover, my iPhone 6Plus cannot connect to the "Amazon-J0L" network. (Is it a 'zero' in 'J0L' or is it an 'Oh' as in the letter in the English alphabet that follows 'N'? Doesn't matter, the network doesn't exist here in 'flyover country'.)

Fortunately I can return my Echo Dot (2nd Gen) until the 27th. Right now, it seems to be a hockey puck. Even if I connect it to my iPhone with a male-to-male 3.5mm plug, it won't even function as speaker. It's dead. And no matter what I do, the ring remains blue.

One more thing: I changed the device name from 'Echo' to 'Alexa' ... however please remember that it worked before I foolishly tried to carry it with me to NYC. BTW, it was in my carry-on baggage. It wasn't smashed, etc., I wrapped it in clothing.

I am ready to return it, since I have until the 27th. Geez.

--Raj
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:20:47 pm by RajS_Lafayette »

Re: I'm at wits' end with my 2nd Gen Echo Dot
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:44 pm »
Well... if it's any consolation, I am certain you're not completely mad... but I do believe something you have done or Are doing is the issue. I have had some crazy problems similar to yours in the past, but honestly don't remember how I resolved it, as it's been over a year. I do know it has something to do with what happens when you are in "Set Up" again trying to set it back up like you did originally... when you've had it working once, it never seems to be the same to make it work again.

The one I had problems with I do remember having to go into my devices using the web page version of the app, and DEREGISTER the dot before everything else would work, but after that I still remember having issues. It was a step that I was taking that somehow didn't;t act the same on the subsequent set up, as it did the first time I set it up... Something like I had to back up a page once somewhere in the process, and go forward again to get the proper results.

Someone else may know what I'm talking about or how to get things moving again. But I do think returning it may not be a terrible idea if you feel better about going that route.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

RajS_Lafayette

Re: I'm at wits' end with my 2nd Gen Echo Dot
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 07:58:24 pm »
  • The one I had problems with I do remember having to go into my devices using the web page version of the app, and DEREGISTER the dot before everything else would work, but after that I still remember having issues. It was a step that I was taking that somehow didn't;t act the same on the subsequent set up, as it did the first time I set it up... Something like I had to back up a page once somewhere in the process, and go forward again to get the proper results.

Someone else may know what I'm talking about or how to get things moving again. But I do think returning it may not be a terrible idea if you feel better about going that route.
[/i]

I'm incredibly satisfied with the regular Alexa that we have although I''m not sure which one it is. I love the iHeartRadio stations that I get including the classical ones (especially!). Although I do listen to the Jazz ones, and NPR too.

I'll try de-registering the Echo Dot (2nd Gen) to see what occurs. I'm not optimistic, mind you. Frankly, returning it and upgrading to a 'regular' Alexa is not a huge prob. The speaker in the regular Alexa is truely awesome.

That said, I was hoping we could travel with the cute little 'Dot'. No dice, it seems. But thanks so much for your feedback :)

strayfish

Re: I'm at wit's end with my 2nd Gen Echo Dot
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 03:55:54 am »
The Amazon-XXX network is highly localised and linked individually to each device so it doesn't exist anywhere else. It's just the first step to getting the device on the actual network you're using for everything else. [sorry if you already know this]. That said, if it won't now connect to anything, I'd return it and get a replacement, there's nothing to lose from that.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 08:48:08 am »
Might be that old WiFi assist thing that automatically rejects a non internet connection and switches to cell data without telling you. This was a common problem a couple of years ago.  Depending on your phone and its settings, that might be happening to you. See one of the main topics here regarding setup and connecting to WiFi that discusses how to work around the issue.  Sorry I don't have the link handy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:51:36 am by jwlv »

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 09:33:19 pm »
Honestly if your smart phone is high end. I'd rather use that than the dot. I guarantee the speaker quality is better and no headache to set up. I assume you already have iHeartRadio installed on your phone?

In case you don't know Alexa is now built in the Alexa app. Not hands free but it does the job.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:34:54 pm by asianrocker »

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 03:25:34 am »
Might be that old WiFi assist thing that automatically rejects a non internet connection and switches to cell data without telling you. This was a common problem a couple of years ago.  Depending on your phone and its settings, that might be happening to you. See one of the main topics here regarding setup and connecting to WiFi that discusses how to work around the issue.  Sorry I don't have the link handy.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. Had to switch it off on my phone and also when setting up my sister's Dot. Can't remember how but I thin I just Googled it.

Offline kenf

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 04:04:01 pm »
it seems like you did all the right things, try to reset it, deregister it, etc.

I know people have set these up on multiple wi-fi networks before, AND taken them to hotels.  Unless the hotel had Alexa in other rooms and has some funky over-ride API from Amazon to enable that and it hijacked your personal device.

Sending it back to Amazon seems the easiest choice.  Let them deal with it and you get a new one that will setup fresh out of the box. You've done your duty of trouble-shooting.