Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of certain letters

Howard

My Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of the letter P from the letter B.  This is relevant when requesting to tune to radio stations by call letters.  I have gone through the Alexa voice training exercise, but does not help.  Is there a way to downshift Alexa into the phonetic alphabet in order to make clear?  Or other method to train by letter?     

bitstopjoe

Re: Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of certain letters
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 04:02:20 pm »
My Alexa cannot differentiate my pronunciation of the letter P from the letter B.  This is relevant when requesting to tune to radio stations by call letters.  I have gone through the Alexa voice training exercise, but does not help.  Is there a way to downshift Alexa into the phonetic alphabet in order to make clear?  Or other method to train by letter?     
Maybe try setting up a routine for that station as you type in the call letters not say them.
 I listen to WAEB and never had a problem with Alexa understand the letter B, and I am orig from Brooklyn, ha...

Joe

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:55:19 pm »
I can see how p and b can confuse alexa.  really not much you can do except to try different keywords to access the station. 

starrin

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:33:11 am »
Not to hijack, but I have the same type problem getting Alexa to pronounce Sue, my wife's name.  It comes out "so".  If I ask Alexa to pronounce  S-U-E, spelled out, Alexa gets it right, but cannot transition that to pronouncing Sue correctly.  I've given up (She gets Susie correctly)

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 05:19:26 pm »
Not to hijack, but I have the same type problem getting Alexa to pronounce Sue, my wife's name.  It comes out "so".  If I ask Alexa to pronounce  S-U-E, spelled out, Alexa gets it right, but cannot transition that to pronouncing Sue correctly.  I've given up (She gets Susie correctly)

I would send feedback on this   I had the same problem with alexa pronouncing the town I live in wrong.  I sent feedback with the phonic pronunciation and it got a whole lot better.