Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Need external microphone wired to Dot

Smittysmit

Need external microphone wired to Dot
« on: July 21, 2018, 08:59:49 am »
I have had the Dot in my vehicle for a few months and it fits perfect in the cup holder.  It takes commands fine but the voice is poor using Drop In.  The goal is to disable all of the internal mics and wire in a mic by the drivers visor with shielded audio wire.  Had anyone been able to back the dot?

At $29, I can afford to tinker with it.

I may consider disassembling the Dot and put it in a different housing with connections to extend the mic off and command buttons.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

asianrocker

Re: Need external microphone wired to Dot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 09:41:44 am »
It's poor coz you're basically blocking the mic putting it on there I suggest you buy something like this instead

https://www.google.com/search?q=cup+holder+mount&client=puffin-a&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN4baeqLDcAhUjLX0KHSdqBVAQ_AUIEigC&biw=360&bih=567

But they mostly are for phone. But yeah it has poor reception coz the mic is blocked for the most part.

But you can try and dissect it too but I don't think it is a good idea. When there is a better non PITA solution.

I actually found one that is perfect for dot

https://www.amazon.com/DURAGADGET-Sturdy-Expandable-Holder-2555LMT/dp/B00E3VSVIA

Just put a Velcro sticker or putty to hold them together.

In general dot in cars are more of novelties than practicality and/or necessity IMO.  Smart phone are enough especially with the new Alexa app feature which basically has Alexa on your phone.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 09:49:28 am by asianrocker »

Smittysmit

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:20:24 pm »
As it stands, I have not dissected the dot. I recently purchased a 2016 Chevy Cruze that has built in Wi-Fi.  The Dot fits very comfortably by the audio and USB ports.  I did get right angle cords 6" long and voice commands are fine.

Someone mentioned having a Dot in a vehicle is a bit of a novelty but I like doing audio on demand for my hour commute.  I can check/adjust the thermostat all hands free.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 06:23:21 am »
You can do that via ok Google command on your phone but ok.