Echo & Alexa Forums

Turn on plug whenever Alexa wakes

eshroom

Turn on plug whenever Alexa wakes
« on: July 17, 2018, 07:32:22 am »
I have a smart plug that my old school amplifier is connected to so I can turn it on and off via Alexa whenever I want to play music.

I'd like to connect Alexa to my amplifier via 3.5mm jack, but unless the amp is turned on, I won't be able to hear Alexa. Is there anyway to make Alexa automatically turn on the amplifier smart plug on Alexa wake?

Thanks!

garyyoung

Re: Turn on plug whenever Alexa wakes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:11:37 am »
I don't have an answer to your specific question (and I'm curious if there is a way to do that), but I do think there's an alternative way to solve your problem. Get a cheap bluetooth speaker that will work while plugged in to mains (some won't play while the battery is charging). When you're listening to music, you can hear Alexa through your stereo system. When you're done listening to music, say, "Alexa, connect," so that you can hear Alexa through the bluetooth speaker even when your stereo is off. When you want to listen to your stereo, say, "Alexa, disconnect."

eshroom

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:22:45 am »
Thanks, that would be one way. Other options would be connecting the amp to my TV and running Spotify through my fire TV or making the first command "Alexa, turn on amplifier", which has the double benefit of muting accidental Alexa wakes.

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:29:15 pm »
Some have used a "y" audio out cable, connecting one leg to a smaller always-on speaker, and the other to the amp. The amp will drown out the smaller speaker when it is turned on.

eshroom

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 02:21:41 pm »
Some have used a "y" audio out cable, connecting one leg to a smaller always-on speaker, and the other to the amp. The amp will drown out the smaller speaker when it is turned on.

Yes, I read about that. The main issue seems to be that unless the smaller speaker is powered (and so always powered on), it seems to be very quiet.