Echo & Alexa Forums

Simple HTTPS query & response

bon_the_one

Simple HTTPS query & response
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:48:26 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I have just joined the board after searching some help, having spent several hours hacking about in Alexa's brain! I hope someone can offer some advise please?

I have a temperature monitor and it's able to dump out a reading when a user calls a web url with a "?temp" flag. The return is just a simple float value, such as 27.46, with no html guff around it.

I'd like to get Alexa to respond to respond to a query such as "Alexa, what is the temperature of my web thing" by loading the data from that url and reading it back.

I've tried SO many tutorials, but they are mental complex for what should be a simple process.
1/ Get request & process
2/ Gather numeric float data from URL request
3/ Read it out.

Does anyone here know a simple way please to get Alexa to do this? Every site seems to have tutorials that don't match the (EU London) interface I'm seeing. I'm not looking for hosting on any AWS servers, just getting Alexa to query a value over HTTPS (with username/password) and tell me reply!

Hope a lovely person here can help, huge thanks in advance,

Bon

AlanH

Re: Simple HTTPS query & response
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:50:23 pm »
if you don't get the answer to your question here, it might be worth trying over on the Amazon Developer Forum:
https://forums.developer.amazon.com/spaces/23/index.html