Echo & Alexa Forums

problem connecting to WIFI

ditto21

problem connecting to WIFI
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:22:59 pm »
Just spent a couple of hours with Echo tech support and bottom line is if your Echo will not connect to WIFI and you are using any type of range extender unplug it.  Seriously what a simple fix - and once you are connected again plug in the extender and all will be well.  Just a side note the folks on the "help' desk could not have been more helpful and understanding.

dragon123

Re: problem connecting to WIFI
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:52:55 pm »
If you have issues like that, chances are you have an ip conflict. Rebooting or reconnecting fixes that yes, but fixing the root cause would be more helpful - ie make sure that 'range extender' of whatever type is set up properly and not handing out ip adresses in a range that is/could be used elsewhere in the network.

Especially if you use a router as an 'extender' and have not disabled that one's DHCP, things in your network get... interesting... from time to time.

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 06:50:51 pm »
Not a bad idea, but my extenders have not been a problem setting up Alexas.  I sometimes have shut them down to initially connect alexa.  I always set them up near the router, and maybe why I have good success after moving them to where they will reside.

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 11:23:24 pm »
I don't know why that is news to any one. Unplugging is always a fix on any appliances really smart or not.