Echo & Alexa Forums

new to this forum, want to control a ceiling fan

Runfox

new to this forum, want to control a ceiling fan
« on: July 12, 2018, 01:03:50 pm »
Hello all, I'm hoping i can get some help here. Im trying to get my house to be a smart house, but so many problems already. We bought an Echo View, and Echo Spot, and an Echo plus , smart hub. I have several ceiling fans I want to control with Alexia. I want to get a 3 spd fan control. When I search fan speed control for echo it always comes up with the GE Z-wave plus smart fan controller. However in the description, its says : ALEXA COMPATIBLE - REQUIRES AN ALEXA SUPPORTED HUB for voice control with Echo Products (Alexa device and hub sold separately). CANNOT connect directly with ECHO PLUS (Only ZigBee products can connect directly to Echo Plus) When I search for a ZigBee smart fan controller, it comes right back to this GE controller.
 So How do I controll a fan with Alexia???

Re: new to this forum, want to control a ceiling fan
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 02:13:00 pm »
You will need a separate hub.  there are several.  I use wink.  once it is connected, alexa will be able to discover it. 

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 03:39:14 pm »
I googled ZigBee smart fan controller. I can see why you are confused. Since GE both have a zwave and ZigBee controlled fans. Just make sure you buy the ZigBee one. In amazon site  it clearly stated the ZigBee GE fan is compatible with echo plus. So you won't need another hub. It's pricey though wow.

I'm sure you can find a cheaper brand but hey it's your money.

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »
Look at the Home Depot for a product called "BOND". It is a remote control ceiling fan interface for Alexa and stuff... they are supposed to one day update the software to do more, but so far has full ability to control every model known to man according to them... some that are not in their database will be controllable if you just go through some learning steps even... as long as you already have a remote controlled ceiling fan. If not, then all bets are off. I have one Remote fan in my house and intend to buy one for that fan. It will work with any radio controlled (non IR) fan as best I can tell... can see their web site at https://bondhome.io
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:42:16 pm »
This is exactly what I would like to have in my house to control the ceiling fans. However, the $99 price tag is a real put off. Even if it was $50 I'd think twice. But if it was $25 or $35, I'd probably buy one or two right away.

Runfox

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 03:03:13 am »
OK thanks for the help so far everyone. 1) I searched Amazon for a Zigbee smart fan controller, I see GE Zigbee smart lighting controllers, but looks like GE Z-wave are the fan controllers. 2) Looks like the wink connected home hub is what I need. Reading its long discription bullets, it suppoert Z-wave, Zigbee , works with Alexa and Echo.Sooo, with that I can buy the GE Z-wave smart fan controller and controll the fan speeds, instead of reaching a dangling pull chain to change fan speeds, yay!! I had no idea automating my house would be so hard. I just dont understand why I have to have an Echo plus smart hub and a wink home hub. I did find an option to voice control  the fan light. Instead of an expensive smart bulb, I found  Smart Switch 5A- Wifi Remote Light Switch Universal Module Relay. I can wire this into the fan light kit and control it through alxa for only $11.00.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 05:21:43 am »
the echo hub does not support z-wave so you will need another hub.  the thing is, I don't know how much home automation you are going to get but the wink can do a lot of things the echo hub cannot do and you will have a bigger selection of devices you would be able use.  One other thing, there are other hubs too like hue, smartthings and more.  so you are not limited to the wink if you wanted to use something else. 

finally, it is always good to have a backup if say something happened to the echo hub. 

Runfox

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 05:43:22 am »
OK I think the Wink home hub will help me get my ceiling fans automated, now for the main thing I want , to automate my lights with smart dimmers. First problem, three way light switch. Most of my lights in kitchen, and living room are three way switches. So I searched Amazon for smart three way dimmer switch, and found GE Add-On Switch only for GE Z-Wave, GE ZigBee and GE Bluetooth Wireless Smart Lighting Controls, NOT A STANDALONE SWITCH. I think this and the regular GE dimmer swithc will take care of automating my lights on three way switches.

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:22:48 am »
Remote control modules can be found on ebay Starting as low ast $10 some of hese kits are made for existing remote control fans.however virtually all can be made to work with a standard ceiling fan. I'd look into these prior to buying another hub and or fan they fit inside the fan juntion box.

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 08:10:20 am »
This is exactly what I would like to have in my house to control the ceiling fans. However, the $99 price tag is a real put off. Even if it was $50 I'd think twice. But if it was $25 or $35, I'd probably buy one or two right away.

Thing about this piece... no hub or bridge required. Direct control from the Smart box. There's where the extra dollars are spent on the build of the controller... I'm having a bit of a time letting o of my 100 bucks too... but since I only have the one and that will be all I need... I can swing it. But I do need to get it into the budget to get it done... Been working on it for a couple of weeks already... should be a go next month at least.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

Offline kenf

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 08:57:53 am »
If I was you, I'd send back the Echo Plus and buy a Wemo or SmartThings hub.  Both of those support z-wave and zigbee and and more IFTTT options than Echo Plus (which is Zigbee only).

For some reason, it is hard to find a Zigbee fan switch, whereas z-wave is pretty easy.  You can mix and match zigbee and z-wave with either of those smartubs.

asianrocker

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 09:22:59 am »
If you know what you're doing you can find a cheaper alternative for sure. And good thing you notice it. The ge zigbee I saw was indeed for lights. Oops.

I agree with returning echo plus if you need to buy another hub. Pretty sure there is a zigbee fan controller though.

Offline kevb

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »
OK I think the Wink home hub will help me get my ceiling fans automated, now for the main thing I want , to automate my lights with smart dimmers. First problem, three way light switch. Most of my lights in kitchen, and living room are three way switches. So I searched Amazon for smart three way dimmer switch, and found GE Add-On Switch only for GE Z-Wave, GE ZigBee and GE Bluetooth Wireless Smart Lighting Controls, NOT A STANDALONE SWITCH. I think this and the regular GE dimmer swithc will take care of automating my lights on three way switches.
  Check your wiring before you buy the three way switches- if your power comes in through the switch, you'll be able to do what you want relatively easily. If the power goes through the fixture, you might not. "Smart" three-way switches work differently than normal three-ways- one switch is the smart switch, the other 'auxiliary' switch just lets the smart switch know if it's been toggled. Most switches also require a neutral wire in the box, which older homes may not have.

Runfox

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 04:24:45 pm »
thank you all for your inputs. My home is brand new, I have not looked at my three way switches yet, but I'm pretty sure they will have a neutral wire and that should not be a problem. As for the echo plus hub, I could return in but our have has three bedrooms and a den, so I can use it as an Alexa control spot anyway. So my set up is I have three bedrooms and an office/den. I will have ceiling  fans in all the rooms eventually, including the great room. Our ceilings are 9-6 so a ceiling fan is way up there and yanking a pull chain is not an option.

I thing the Wink hub will help me connect the fan speed controllers fine, as it supports Z-wave, Zigbee, and a whole bunch others. Im going to try that Smart Switch 5A- Wifi Remote Light Switch Universal Module Relay, from amazon and see if it will fit in my ceiling fan light kits. If it does that, then I have a cheap, $11.00 light kit fix so Alexa can control the ceiling fan lights. IF I can just get my ceiling fans automated that will be a big step.
THen I have to check into the smart thermostat, the Nest and make sure it work's with my unit and let Alexa control that.

2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro