Echo & Alexa Forums

Routines have to match words exactly?

Mtnrunner@gmail.com

Routines have to match words exactly?
« on: July 06, 2018, 05:00:44 pm »
I have a routine for example “turn on fan light”. However, I sometimes say “turn on THE fan light”, and when I do, Alexa will not recognize because I added “the”.

It would be great if Alexa were able to recognize both, without my having to enter both versions as a routine or give a routine multiple names. That would save entering all the commands again when I create the version with “the” in it.

This is just one example, I’ve hit the same issue with a few other routine names.

Thanks

asianrocker

Re: Routines have to match words exactly?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 08:33:25 pm »
Yes. I don't know about you but for me the point of routine is to make command easier for you.

My routine command are only 1 word. Why make it hard for yourself? I even shorten all Alexa default syntax command. Since I know pretty much what is the trigger  word. I never ever use complete sentences when I ask Alexa anything.

You all ought to know these AI always look for trigger word. Which is basically what routine function does. That's how most computer programs work. Complete sentences are just formalities but they really don't need it to function.

In OP's case it doesn't work coz you program it without 'the'. Yes routine actually make you the programmer of the command and then you made it hard for yourself. LOL.

I actually want to use Harry Potter magic words at first but obviously Alexa don't do Latin. LOL. and I have no patience to teach her.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:46:40 am by asianrocker »

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 10:05:28 am »
Yes. I don't know about you but for me the point of routine is to make command easier for you.

My routine command are only 1 word. Why make it hard for yourself? I even shorten the syntax command. Since I know pretty much what is the trigger  word.

I actually want to use Harry Potter magic words at first but obviously Alexa don't do Latin. LOL. and I have no patience to teach her.

I don't see why you couldn't parse up anything and whatever you decide is the trigger word... Harry Potter words are just sounds and should be do-able as phonetic words... I'm not familiar with any particular words, but we have to parse some of the command words for my Yankee assed Father in law because he can't speak normal English... A CAR is a CAH to him... and so on... so we adjust the language WE use instead of what Alexa KNOWS and make it what she reads. Sometimes it takes two or three words strung together to get her to recognize some of his terrible Massachusetts noise and gurgling... (Sorry if this offends anyone, but Northern US'rs have difficult times just like us Southerners do... but in a very different way... Texan is easier for Alexa to understand, most times, than Yankee in my experience).

I must admit if we had to do some words... we'd be spelling things funny all the tie here... I have members of my family that can't say the word "YES" in one syllable. And simple questions like "Do you want to?" would be easier actually spelled as one word - "Yiontwo?"
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

asianrocker

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:24:21 am »
Most HP magic words are actual Latin word. I already tried them. I have to look up what it means like lumos is light so I made it my lights on word but Alexa just gave me the dreaded sorry drivel reply most times. Takes out my fun ugh.

I actually would think she would understand nox pretty clear but nope a hit or miss Everytime. I ain't got time for that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:28:27 am by asianrocker »

froglips

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 06:31:57 pm »
Why not just name device "Fan Light" and then telling it on or off however you want should work?

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:04:52 am »
Most HP magic words are actual Latin word. I already tried them. I have to look up what it means like lumos is light so I made it my lights on word but Alexa just gave me the dreaded sorry drivel reply most times. Takes out my fun ugh.

I actually would think she would understand nox pretty clear but nope a hit or miss Everytime. I ain't got time for that.

Rename the lights manually (in the HUE App or whatever your host app for the light is) to "Lou Most" and "Knocks" I will almost guarantee a hit. (If those are the words you wish to use) otherwise be creative and use the same approach for any other HP words... Latin or no latin, the whole world uses it in some form... It's not about the language, it's about the adaptation.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 10:06:35 pm »
No personally I find it so wrong in many levels. What I did was just make her say the magic word in my routine, LOL.

SHE actually can say the word perfectly with the right spelling but she can't understand it. Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:08:57 pm by asianrocker »