Echo & Alexa Forums

Turn off the TV at a certain time?

Mtnrunner@gmail.com

Turn off the TV at a certain time?
« on: June 24, 2018, 10:59:37 am »
I’m really enjoying my echo dots and have it controlling my TV via Harmony Elite. It would be great if I were able to tell Alexa to turn off the TV in 30 minutes or like at 10:00PM.

That way I can fall asleep watching the TV and it will turn off automatically! 😊

Is there a way to do this?

Offline jwlv

Re: Turn off the TV at a certain time?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:10:57 am »
Not exactly, but most TVs have a sleep timer button on the remote. The sleep timer is usually set for 30 mins, 60 mins, 2 hours, and so on. What you could do is set up a command on your Harmony to press the sleep button once, twice, etc. to activate the sleep timer.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:22:09 pm »
set up a routine to make it happen. Entirely doable with The Harmony stuff and Alexa Combined.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Mtnrunner@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »
How?

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 08:44:22 pm »
I use a program/app/skill... whatever they're calling it now... Called YONOMI to make things work the most seamlessly. Funny thing is, if you use it, you won't even know it's there... it appears all of it is done by the Alexa and the Hub. Once you have that , you can go into the hub settings and set up an activity and with YONOMI can set up routines based on TIME. Kinda complex but it does work. I don't use any timers to turn anything but lights right now, so mine are all done through the Philips hUE app... and I really only use one as my wife likes to go to sleep with a colored light on and I can't deal with it if I wake up in the middle of the night, so I have a timer set to turn it off after she is asleep (which doesn't take but about half an hour)... Lots and lots of strategies to get what you want done, and so much of it is free like an eagle... including the Yonomi app/skill... look it up in the Alexa info on your computer or phone and set it up. I think the skill is computer doable and the actual app is phone based only.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 07:31:17 am by scottrods »
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

AlanH

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 01:04:46 am »
I use smart plugs - “Alexa, goodnight” turns off the TV and a table light. The smart plugs also have a timer setting to switch off at 11.00pm.

Mtnrunner@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »
Ok I tried Yonomi. The problem is you have to build a routine to turn off the TV at a specific time.

I would like to be able to say “Alexa, turn off the TV at 10:00 pm” or whatever time I want to say. I don’t want it always to be 10pm, it will vary.

Possible?

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:37:51 pm »
Ah... I see where this may be difficult... This may be something for the IFTTT guys... There's a ton of prebuilt command to use through that stuff... I don't use it but have heard of many things made possible through using it as a solution. Look up th IFTTT forums and sites and see if they can be of more assistance. sorry I wasn't much help.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

froglips

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 10:55:21 pm »
With Logitech Harmony skill enabled, just say "Alexa, ask Harmony to set sleep timer for ....XXXX" (min, hours).  It works great for what ever activity is currently being controlled by your Harmony. 

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 07:55:40 am »
Cool... I didn't even know the Harmony had that capability and I've been running it and playing with it for a year and a half. Admittedly I have fewer demands than a lot of folks but I support 3 systems (including my own) and with others there's almost always something to figure out. That's why I love this forum. Somebody usually has already had the experience and found the cure... if not we all work together to find it.

The worst thing about the Smart home tech stuff is there's no real reference guide for commands for everything all of it will do in one place... and probably never will be. However, our language will eventually change to a type that is not aware as time goes on. I would bet almost every part of the world will have some changes caused by this stuff within 5 years... or less...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:17:06 am by scottrods »
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
One Ring Doorbell Pro

Mtnrunner@gmail.com

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 07:08:53 am »
That is perfect!  I didn’t know Harmony could do that either. My problem is solved!

Thanks