Echo & Alexa Forums

LIFX bulbs unable to find

lesaahartwigwilliams

LIFX bulbs unable to find
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:10 am »
I have some LIFX bulbs. Updated and in the LIFX cloud. Have enabled the Alexa skill - but unable to connect. When in the LIFX app, and I add Amazon Echo in Integrations, it directs me to the Amazon Echo sign-in page. When I sign in - it shows a blank screen.  Is this a LIFX issue - or Amazon ? Has anyone experienced this ?

Kamakzie

Re: LIFX bulbs unable to find
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 12:49:39 am »
Make sure an ad blocker isn't blocking the website

dominique

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:57:25 am »
I recently had an issue with the LIFX app not locating my bulbs.

After some searching online I discovered that turning on and off the bulb 5 times waiting 1 second in between toggles will reset the bulb.

Turn on, wait one second
Turn off, wait one second

repeat 5 times until bulb turns white.

Try doing this to see if Alexia discovers your bulb.

Scooter

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:41:27 am »
Yeah I recently had a bunch of connectivity problems with LIFX bulbs...but I got them sorted out.

squirrellydw

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:24:42 pm »
If LIFX would shut down/go out of business would there bulbs still work?  Same question with HUE?

Yoda_One

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »
Yes as a simple bulb. But why are you so concern with what if, could be? Everything has an obsoleteness including you so buy or not buy and never look back.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

squirrellydw

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 03:06:32 pm »
because if I buy a bunch of bulbs I want to make sure I can still use them as I intended, change colors and HA.  Phillips has been around longer and is a more reliable company but I like the LIFX bulbs a little better.

DParker

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:21:44 pm »
because if I buy a bunch of bulbs I want to make sure I can still use them as I intended, change colors and HA.  Phillips has been around longer and is a more reliable company but I like the LIFX bulbs a little better.

Out of curiosity, which LIFX bulbs do you have?  And what is it about them that you prefer over their Hue counterparts?

squirrellydw

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:36:38 pm »
I don't have any yet, order one color one to try it out.  I've just read that they are brighter and more color accurate.  Going to order some HUEs in the near future to compare the two.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFX-Adjustable-Multicolor-Dimmable-Required/dp/B0161IJ5F0/ref=pd_sim_23_49?ie=UTF8&dpID=51RzSKh288L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR117%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=WHMDH1AQX8EY8J6YKBNC
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:38:47 pm by squirrellydw »

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 04:49:41 am »

that is something you can never make sure of.  No telling if a company is going to continue to support their bulbs.  tcp has been around for a long time - over 20 years.  they quit supporting their connected bulbs a couple of weeks ago.  one thing you might consider doing is to purchase from several companies - just in case one decides to burn their customers like tcp did. 

destefmx6

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:26 pm »
I have some LIFX bulbs. Updated and in the LIFX cloud. Have enabled the Alexa skill - but unable to connect. When in the LIFX app, and I add Amazon Echo in Integrations, it directs me to the Amazon Echo sign-in page. When I sign in - it shows a blank screen.  Is this a LIFX issue - or Amazon ? Has anyone experienced this ?

First, the Lifx app is shite...so many bugs, it's such a pain.  I spent 40 minutes with Tech Service and 4 hours on 6 bulbs for my kitchen.  Alexa would not recognize the bulbs.  Half the time the Lifx app locked up, or spun forever.  I returned the bulbs....I had one unopened one left. So, I tried it differently than the directions..
1: installed Lifx app.
2: Signed out of Alexa.
3. Reran setup on Alexa.
4. Installed Lifx bulb.
5. Installed Lifx skill.
6 Reran the discovery and "bam" discovered.....
7. This took ten minutes.......I wasted 6 hours and returned the 6 bulbs....
I have 2 more on the way and will try this method again, in this order.  If it works, fantastic, if not returning them all.
** I have to say, the Android App is terrible.  Locked up constantly, wouldn't connect, wouldn't recognize.....a nightmare.  You know when it's the simple steps that don't work, it is so maddening.  They do need to get their software in order....

If it doesn't work, I will post it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:38:38 pm by destefmx6 »

Lukem538

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 02:03:43 pm »
I just tried that exact process. No good my first day with Alexa and Lifx. What a load of crap