Echo & Alexa Forums

Calling from my Ehco Dot

Clay L

Calling from my Ehco Dot
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:05:29 am »
I have an Echo Dot 2nd generation. I enabled it to make phone calls to phone numbers. I can say " call 907 111 1111" and it will call that number. I used the PC Alexa app  to set it up - I do not have a smart phone.
I now want to set this up for my mother in law's Echo Dot ( disabled,can't use her arms, 102 years old.) but I can't figure out how I did it - again, no smart phone. 
Can anyone help?

Laurel

Re: Calling from my Ehco Dot
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 06:38:22 pm »
I am not one of the tech types here, but I will jump in with the basics from the internet on setting up the Dot with a pc.

You can also go to https://alexa.amazon.com from Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer (10 or higher) on your Wi-Fi enabled computer.
    Turn on Echo Dot.

Place your Echo Dot in a central location (at least eight inches (20 centimetres) from any walls and windows). Then, plug the included power adapter into Echo Dot and then into a power outlet. The light ring on Echo Dot turns blue, and then orange. When the light turns orange, Alexa greets you.

Note: Other USB power adapters, like phone chargers, may not provide enough power to Echo Dot.

Connect Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network.

Tips:
        If the setup process does not automatically start, press and hold the Action button on the device until the light ring turns orange. From the menu, select Alexa Devices > Add Alexa Device.
        If the device doesn't connect to your Wi-Fi network, restart by unplugging and plugging the device in again. If you still have trouble, reset your device to its factory settings and set it up again. To learn more, go to Reset Your Echo Device.

Talk to Alexa.

You can now use your Echo device. To get started, say the "wake word" and then speak naturally to Alexa. Your Echo device is set to respond to the wake word "Alexa" by default, but you can change it at any time. To change the wake word by voice, you can say, "Change the wake word." You can also make this change in the Alexa app, by going to the menu and selecting Alexa Devices. Select your Echo device, and then select Wake word.
    Optional: Connect Echo Dot to an External Speaker

While Echo Dot has a speaker, you can connect it to external speakers with an audio cable or through Bluetooth. For more information, go to:
        Connect Your Echo Device to Bluetooth Speakers
        Connect Your Echo Device to External Speakers (Audio Out)

asianrocker

Re: Calling from my Ehco Dot
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:26 pm »
OP you're funny you set it up for yourself now you forgot how you did it?

I honestly don't know how you setup calling though with out a cellphone or landline.

Congrats now If only you can remember how you did it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:01:04 pm by asianrocker »