Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Command "Homescreen off" no longer working after software update **** FIXED ****

Edmondo

Hi

Until a software "upgrade" was downloaded and installed automatically on my devices yesterday I used to be able to switch-off the display on my Echo devices (Spot and Show) by uttering the phrase "Homescreen Off" however now when I speak the phrase Alexa responds with "Sorry what device", If I respond with the name of the Echo device I am speaking to, Alexa responds with "Sorry, I didn't find xxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxx is my Echo device name.

Any ideas what has happened to this functionality and how to get it working again following the so called upgrade?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:40:08 pm by Edmondo »

LuJohnson

Re: Command "Homescreen off" no longer working after software update
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:58:23 am »
Hi. I am also experiencing this issue. This morning I called Amazon technical support and they're completely unaware number one, that you could do that LOL. Number two that after checking they found out they could do that and they said there was no issue with it not working.

So, it appears us users know more about our devices than they do LOL. I guess we'll have to wait to see once they are aware if they fix the the problem.

I found it funny that they were unaware of such a popular, and crucial feature.

After discussing at length about the issue I asked what I might try they suggested a full factory reset of the device even though I had just updated the firmware to the latest one.

My Echo Show quit working with this screen off feature yesterday, and so I just thought it was the firmware update so I did the firmware update, thinking that it would fix this feature, and it did not.

I hope this information in this chat here helps other people find out that there's really nothing wrong with their devices, but the Amazon has introduced a glitch.

Edmondo

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:19:13 pm »
I have just re-tried the functionality and it appears to have been restored - Hooray!

Now looking forward to Amazon's apology and thanks for helping them with their software release testing  ;)

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:16:39 pm »
So, it appears us users know more about our devices than they do LOL. I guess we'll have to wait to see once they are aware if they fix the the problem.

That's why sometimes independent unofficial forums are better than official forums. Probably because no one here has to answer to any other authority.

Laurel

Hey that is a cool feature that I didn't know existed i.e. "home screen off".  Very handy! Thanks all.