Echo & Alexa Forums

Dying Echo or one time glitch?

Morac

Dying Echo or one time glitch?
« on: June 09, 2018, 11:16:51 am »
Woke up this morning and the blue ring was spinning on my original Echo I bought when it first came out.  I figured it was doing an update, but 30 minutes later it was still spinning.  It showed as offline in the Alexa app, wasn’t connected to my router and was already showing as having the latest firmware, so I took a chance and unplugged it for about 30 seconds and plugged it back in.  The ring spun for a few seconds and went out. At that point nothing else happened on the Echo.  I thought it was dead, but it connected to my router in about 10 seconds and it showed up in the Alexa app as being online, so I asked it something and it responded.

I’m guessing it failed to reboot during a software update and unplugging and plugging it back in got it going.  What was jarring was the lack of a boot up sound.

I’ve never had that happen before.  Has anyone else ever seen this?

mike27oct

Re: Dying Echo or one time glitch?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 12:34:08 pm »
This can happen to any/many Echos, and the solution is often to turn it off and turn it on; i.e. reboot.  Somerimes a short turn off works like it did for you, but many of us here turn it off for five minutes (according to Amazon Help) so there is time to clear out issues in the device and at the Alexa Mother Ship with your account..

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 06:48:06 am »
It's normal. In this gadget unfortunately.  Not just on echo. My Phillips hue stop working. It's giving error message. So I have to do the dreaded delete and rediscover bit. I even have to make a new routine.

Only good thing about that is I found out you can make custom reply now and boy did I have fun on that one.

millerddm

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 05:25:16 pm »
This happened to me twice. I fixed it both times by changing the power cable. Used my Samsung phone charge cable and it immediately worked.

Saw this solution on Reddit.  Evidently Amazon doesn't know about it because it's never mentioned in troubleshooting.

There are two symptoms:

1.  16 second cycle of 3 seconds off, a flash and 3 seconds on solid blue light, then 10 seconds spinning blue circle with cyan.  Repeats.

2.  Solid blue light, no spin, no other colors.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:36:53 pm »
This solution is same as unplugging power for a few minutes.  So did you order a new cable from Amazon?  They sell them.

t2jock

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:43 am »
I also had the same problem and the same solution.  I was all set to order a new Echo Plus but a new power brick fixed the problem.  And mine was also a 1st generation Echo.  I think that they are getting to the end of their lifecycle and we are all starting to see the same symptoms.  But that's only my opinion.

iolinux333

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 01:07:09 am »
End of life cycle? Solid State was supposed to live forever.

I have a 68 year old am/fm tube radio that has never had the back off, is completely original, and still works perfectly.

End of life cycle my butt.

The giant corps and govs have us over a barrel.