Echo & Alexa Forums

Sonos vs Echo vs Homepod

echoenthusiast

Sonos vs Echo vs Homepod
« on: May 06, 2018, 06:40:05 pm »
So I had to do it. I went and bought all three smart speakers and tested them out to see what the difference was and if there was a distinct winner. Here are my results:

The homepod has the best sound quality out of the three in the sense that it isn't directional but rather features 360 sound and scans the room to optimize the wavelengths.

The Echo had the best technology and functionality system. Regardless of how far away I was the microphone could detect my name, regardless of the question (for the most part) Alexa seemed to be able to accomplish the task, and it just worked seamlessly especially when setting up.

The Sonos was fairly simple to set up but the microphone was awful in detecting your voice and the sound was good but not great. Neither the Echo nor the Sonos featured 360 sound so that was unfortunate..

Overall I think if you are not looking for anything crazy or real quality audio but more of an actual smart speaker assistant, then Echo is the way to go. If you're looking for better sound, then go with either the Homepod or the Sonos.

Design wise, the Echo and the Sonos were ugly, the homepod was decent. Nothing too crazy..

asianrocker

Re: Sonos vs Echo vs Homepod
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:29:36 pm »
You know you can just go to Best buy and try those there right?  ;D

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:50:37 pm »
Money burning a hole in your pocket?  ALL OF THESE AI speakers are fancy TABLE RADIOS that do not play in stereo (unless you pipe their output to a real stereo system  That said, a single and cheap DOT's audio out into a stereo works great, it's stereo and if the audio source is high quality, it is hard to beat.

echoenthusiast

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:33:48 pm »
@asianrocker true but I wanted to test them in the environment of my home and see if there was a difference. And I really wanted to be able to turn it up loud and sync them to my own phone  ;D

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 09:29:49 am »
That's what I always do. Pair the speaker that is overpriced IMO, to my phone and see what the big deal is. I don't mind turning it up in Best buy. Actually an associate approach me when I was playing my music on my phone. I thought he is gonna ask me to lower it down like how they ask me when I am on Apple store. But he just ask what music I am listening to.

Yes so that is also why I loathe Apple unfriendly staff and overpriced product.

I gotta ask, you are gonna return 2 of those items or you are filthy rich you gonna keep them all?

echoenthusiast

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 03:07:56 pm »
@asianrocker haha yes we ended up returning them especially because the ones we didn't like kinda sucked..

Phawx

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 06:11:51 pm »
I am using the echo show downstairs in my house and now a sonos one synced. I can play music to the group to fill the whole house with the music if wanted but truth be told I wanted to try the sonos because when you have the music turned up on the echo it will not hear voice commands. So having the main unit control other speakers is a huge quality of life boost when jamming out to whatever I am feeling like at that moment.