Echo & Alexa Forums

UK News Supplier

Jeff-Gaines

UK News Supplier
« on: April 14, 2018, 06:47:13 am »
My Echo Show hasn't said a word yet about the attacks on Syrian Chemical facilities. I think the current news provider is the BBC; if I activate a skill from another news provider will it automatically be used for the news popups that appear on screen or will I have to keep asking it for a flash briefing?

strayfish

Re: UK News Supplier
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:22:24 am »
I thought it probably took headlines from Bing which is its default search engine. Be interested to hear where these snippets do come from if not.

Jeff-Gaines

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:30:01 am »
That's interesting, presumably not possible to change default search provider either?

AlanH

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 01:06:02 pm »
Try the Sky News skill - I prefer it to the BBC News.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 01:26:27 pm »
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the query is about the headlines that appear on the Echo Show. These don't seem to be related to a skill at all, or at least they're not attributed to one, so I'm guessing it's Bing or maybe MSN. I have several news outlet skills activated but they only come up via flash briefing.

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 01:27:30 pm »
That's interesting, presumably not possible to change default search provider either?

I wish! Naturally, Google isn't likely to be an option!

AlanH

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 01:30:34 pm »
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the query is about the headlines that appear on the Echo Show. These don't seem to be related to a skill at all, or at least they're not attributed to one, so I'm guessing it's Bing or maybe MSN. I have several news outlet skills activated but they only come up via flash briefing.
Yes, I got that, but thought it might be worth trying Sky News,  but from what you say, news headlines are pulled in from a different source to news skills.

strayfish

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 01:42:32 pm »
Yes, I got that, but thought it might be worth trying Sky News,  but from what you say, news headlines are pulled in from a different source to news skills.
I think so but actually I've never really thought about it until now. Got me thinking now though!