Echo & Alexa Forums

BBC Radio will not stop!!!!

geeday

BBC Radio will not stop!!!!
« on: April 09, 2018, 05:10:49 pm »
Alexa: play bbc radio 1.

this is great and the radio plays fine.

How do I stop it playing!!!!

Alexa: stop (and any other word I can think of)

does nothing.

the only was to stop it playing is:

Alexa: play spotify
(wait for spotify to start)
Alexa: stop.

this is ridiculous. any thoughts??

strayfish

Re: BBC Radio will not stop!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 05:40:47 pm »
That's Radio 1 for you, no problem with the grownups 5 & 6.  ;D

Actually, I've no idea why that would happen. Have you tried the other BBC stations? Does it make a difference if you use the (newly) default BBC player or Tunein?

geeday

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:03:19 pm »
Is does it for all of them!! Apparently you need to say stop and the name of the Alexa thingy. Which doesn’t work. Ahhhhhh

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:09:23 pm »
you try cancel or stop playing?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:28 pm »
I just tested this on my Echo and Echo Show.
Here's what happened.

Me: "Alexa, play BBC Radio 1."
Alexa: "BBC Radio 1 from JWLV's TuneIn."
Music starts to play, no problems.
Me: "Alexa, stop."
Music stops and all is silent.

From what I experienced, this is all working correctly as expected. I am in the US, using a US Amazon account. When Alexa confirmed that she is to play BBC Radio 1, she said from TuneIn Radio. I didn't tell Alexa what music service she should use.

One thought comes to mind for those who cannot get BBC to stop playing. Are you using a BBC skill or some other skill or service that plays music? Maybe the skill is broken and does not respond to the "stop" command. For me, I don't have any skills enabled for anything that relates to music. All music related functions that I have on my Echo devices are those that are built-in, such as Pandora, TuneIn, and IHeartRadio.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:23:40 pm by jwlv »

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:16:04 am »
Is does it for all of them!! Apparently you need to say stop and the name of the Alexa thingy. Which doesn’t work. Ahhhhhh

Maybe this is just the way you wrote it but if that's the order you're using, 'Stop + wake word', that's why. It has to be the other way round - wake word then command.

strayfish

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 03:23:18 am »
I just tested this on my Echo and Echo Show.
Here's what happened.

Me: "Alexa, play BBC Radio 1."
Alexa: "BBC Radio 1 from JWLV's TuneIn."
Music starts to play, no problems.
Me: "Alexa, stop."
Music stops and all is silent.

From what I experienced, this is all working correctly as expected. I am in the US, using a US Amazon account. When Alexa confirmed that she is to play BBC Radio 1, she said from TuneIn Radio. I didn't tell Alexa what music service she should use.

One thought comes to mind for those who cannot get BBC to stop playing. Are you using a BBC skill or some other skill or service that plays music? Maybe the skill is broken and does not respond to the "stop" command. For me, I don't have any skills enabled for anything that relates to music. All music related functions that I have on my Echo devices are those that are built-in, such as Pandora, TuneIn, and IHeartRadio.

A while ago, my devices defaulted to a BBC skill (I'm in the UK). I didn't like it for a variety of reasons - for one, it doesn't show in Now Playing in the app or on screen so I can't adjust volume etc from there* - so now I specify Tunein. I haven't checked its stopping distance though, I'll give that a go in a little while.

* Not just the BBC.One of my other favourite stations also has an app and the same loss of accessibility applies.