Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

My Thoughts

leehop71

My Thoughts
« on: February 20, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »
Well I pulled the trigger on the Echo and some other devices, and after a few days I have to say that, overall, I am well pleased.

I purchased the Ecobee3 thermostat, the Philips Bridge and 4 bulbs, two LIFX bulbs, (arriving today), and a Ring Doorbell, which has nothing to do with the Echo.

The ONLY problem I have encountered with Alexa, is when I was doing the Football Trivia skill, once, during the 5 questions, when I answered "4", to one of the questions, she kept repeating, "Your answer must be a number between 1 and 4."  However on one of the other answers to the 5 questions, I answered 4 again, and she accepted it.

It's only happened once and I'm thinking maybe it was my accent, even though I went through the voice training option they give you with Alexa.

One of the most pleasant surprises was that I have it centrally located and she can hear me from the living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, and my bedroom, which are the places I was hoping would pick her up to eliminate the need for the remote.

As one member said, I do like the being able to turn the lights off and on and I really think I will like the Ecobee3 once it warms up enough to use it, as it is cool enough down here in Florida to have our house open and the A/C turned off, for the time being.

Lastly, I see on the website they are working on an update to use with the Liftmaster MyQ app, so I can open and close the garage door from the Echo.

coyote

Re: My Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:45:35 am »
Lastly, I see on the website they are working on an update to use with the Liftmaster MyQ app, so I can open and close the garage door from the Echo.
That is something you can do now, by utilizing the amazon developer sites yourself. I implemented it recently.
Aside from the irritants of having to issue commands in varied formats - such as in this case, "alexa, ask garage door number two to open" rather than "alexa, open garage door number two" - it's pretty terrific. Exactly what the future is supposed to look like.