Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo app playlist guestion

Copotay

Echo app playlist guestion
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:37:41 am »
New to Echo and I have created several playlist and added songs using voice commands with Alexa, trying the 3.99 trial right now for unlimited but am also a prime member. I accessed the Echo app on my iPhone and can see all the songs, playlist, etc. Sometimes I forget I added a song and add it to the same playlist therefore 2 of the same song in playlist. I tried deleting or removing 1 of the songs from the Echo app but cannot find any such removal button. The only way I can remove it is to go to my Amazon music app where I can do it all and remove song from playlist. Is there anyway to do from the Echo app?

HomeAuto123

Re: Echo app playlist guestion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:50:35 am »
Thanks all for the response. Some interesting views.

Off coarse I am flexible and appreciate that at times things will change with Alexa.

When Alexa works it works really well and theirs lots you can do with it especially if you know a bit of  java script, even program your own Skill.

My thoughts are just that it would be nice to have a period of stability and some of the Alexa updates just seem totally pointless to me others just stop everything from working with no way to work round them.

Which ever way I look at it I just can not see why Alexa in  relation to home automation would want to differentiate between Open, Turn On, Switch On. Happy to hear views on this.

For example Alexa used to be able to open or close my curtains. 

Then the trigger word changed and I had to say either open curtains or switch on curtains. and now the only thing Alexa will allow is switch on curtains to open them and switch off to close them.

Alexa also seems to have a new response when you ask something Alexa cant do which is " curtains does not support that command" But it worked OK for the last three weeks and of coarse it is normal to Open and close curtains not switch them on and switch them off.

Given that the automated curtain system is from a company that says they are partners of Amazon and that Open and Close curtains used to work OK did we really need the update?

After all Open, Turn on Switch on all relate to a similar action so should it matter if you say turn on the lights ( as shown in Amazon adverts) or switch on the lights?

So this is not a major issue but it effects all automation, lights, sockets, lamps , curtains. If you then have macros or IFTTT configured to work with Alexa and the impacted devise your macros will all need reprogramming, if you have calendars, scenes, schedules , functions set up they will also all stop working.

If I want to be serious about Amazon Alexa as a home automation tool does this leave me with confidence that updates are thought through and tested before being forced onto users? How do I know what Amazon will do next to break the system. In fact can I even trust products like Nest, Philips Hue who are partners of Amazon Alexa?

If I was a major electronics manufacturer would i want to spend millions investing in Alexa compatible devices when the commands to control them can randomly change at any time and when the command changes and Alexa can no longer provide the functionality advertised it is more likely my product will be blamed rather then Alexa.

You just need to Google to see how many people blame their device for not working with Alexa rather then appreciate changes made to Alexa have impacted how the device function are invoked.

case in hand. Purchased an automated curtain system that claimed to be Amazon Alexa approved. It used to accept commands to Open or Close the curtains.

Now I have to ask Alexa to switch on or switch off the curtains because Alexa tells me the curtains no longer accept the command to Open or Close them. The Curtains remote still works the same, the App still works the same with Open and Close curtains so I know when Alexa says " Curtains does not accept that command"  her statement is  not quite accurate and could be interpreted as the curtains not accepting the command to Open and Close. A failure with the curtain system not the fact that Alexa used to accept Open as an on command but no longer does. If I was the manufacturer of the curtain system I would not be very happy about this.

Finally when I am away on holiday can I rely on Alexa to carry out the tasks programmed like switches lights on and off or draw the curtains, keep the house warm etc. In my view I can not trust Alexa to do these things any more and so Alexa is becoming just a gimmick. How much money do I want to spend on a gimmick?

Just my experienced view that's all. I am sure Amazon will have this all sorted and under control soon.

Like I said before when it works it works really well

asianrocker

Re: Echo app playlist guestion
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 06:03:32 pm »
LOL. Home auto, what responses are you talking about? Your post was a reply to the OP. You crack me up. But to illuminate you. Alexa does not really care about the switch on, turn on. All it actually wants to hear is ON! or OFF for that matter.

And also make your life easier by using routines. In my case, I never say  switch on, turn on or switch off, turn off, that is for the noobz. I make a routine that I only say -  wake - to switch on, turn on and - sleep - to switch off, turn off.