Echo & Alexa Forums

UK Light Switches (No Negative Wire)

Mark Kurland

UK Light Switches (No Negative Wire)
« on: January 22, 2018, 04:36:12 pm »
I'm trying to control my lights via Alexa.  I have a couple of Hive bulbs which are fine for lamps but no use for main ceiling lights.  Like lots of UK homes my lighting circuits have no neutral wire in the switch, meaning hub free solutions like Sonoff cant be used.

I found a system called MiHome by Energenie which ticks all boxes aside from one.  The main (most important) lights I would like to control need a 2 gang switch (Lounge/Diner).

Does anyone know of a suitable product?

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
Re: UK Light Switches (No Negative Wire)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 07:57:53 pm »
... Like lots of UK homes my lighting circuits have no neutral wire in the switch, meaning hub free solutions like Sonoff cant be used...
Does anyone know of a suitable product?

Try Broadlink TC2 switches. 1 to 3 gang UK compatible switches are available
Echo Dot @ SG

Jon1606

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:07:09 am »
And they work with Alexa ?

Mark Kurland

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:30:01 pm »
Try Broadlink TC2 switches. 1 to 3 gang UK compatible switches are available
[/quote]

These look good however...

Is it true that to use them you need a Broadlink RM Pro that costs about £30 and a spare Android device that is always on running an app called RM Tasker to act as a bridge between the two?  If so not sure that this would be for me.

Also read some suggestions that these my not be plug and play setup into Alexa?  and are you 100% that they dont need a neutral?  I could only find very vague information on UK wiring?

Also a bit unclear if these are 100% safe (i.e genuine CE certification) for use in the UK.

I did contact energenie re Mihome and was told they have a 2 gang switch in development due out later this year.  However still interested in alternatives that are already in production as where product releases are concerned there are often delays and tech issues with the first versions!!!

Any help appreciated

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 02:48:48 am »
More details are in the smart devices and gadgets section of this forum. U need to go thru the threads to gather more background info.
Echo Dot @ SG

GlynH

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:21:45 pm »
LightwaveRF?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-