Echo & Alexa Forums

Philips Hue Lights duplicated

Who Let The Dogs Out

Philips Hue Lights duplicated
« on: January 21, 2018, 02:04:52 pm »
I have a problem that others have mentioned. Echo Smart Home finds each of my Hue bulbs twice. Once with the Hue description of "Room Living Room'and a second with the Echo description, like 'Color Light'. If I do not install the Hue app I can not control the color of the lights. So, right now my solution is to just group the two bulbs together and give them a new joint name, for instance for the bulb called 'Lamp' I grouped the two together and call them (or it) 'Corner Lamp'. But that causes strange issues too. To set scenes I have to use the old name 'Lamp', but to set colors I have to use the new name 'Corner Lamp'. Another problem is with dimming. The bulbs dim twice, I am guess once by Echo Smart Home and a second time by the Hue bridge.

What is the solution to this? I tried forgetting the Ehco ones, but it just discovers them again about an hour later.

I noticed in the Hue app for the bridge I have the lights and rooms set to the same name. Would it help if I renamed the rooms, or maybe the lights? Which is the Echo Smart Home finding the light or the room?

Who Let The Dogs Out

Re: Philips Hue Lights duplicated
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:19:13 pm »
I figured it out! The problem is that you do not want to name the bulb and the room the same thing. In the Hue app for the bridge I renamed all the rooms but left the name I want to use for the lights the same. In the Echo PC web app I clicked on 'Forget All' and then rediscovered. This time the Echo Smart Home found the bulbs by their names and the rooms by their different names. Now I can control the colors and scenes by using the bulb name.

I figured I can set up my own groups in the Echo app now

Who Let The Dogs Out

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 05:24:00 pm »
WOW! Now that I can play with the Hue Light I am a bit overwhelmed. Who even knew there was a color called Papaya Whip? I am still struggling with scenes, but when you can set your light to Moccasin who cares?  ;D

Mebejedi

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:57 pm »
They are fun, aren't they? I have eight of them. :D

nzpussikat

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:01:56 am »
I figured it out! The problem is that you do not want to name the bulb and the room the same thing. In the Hue app for the bridge I renamed all the rooms but left the name I want to use for the lights the same. In the Echo PC web app I clicked on 'Forget All' and then rediscovered. This time the Echo Smart Home found the bulbs by their names and the rooms by their different names. Now I can control the colors and scenes by using the bulb name.

I figured I can set up my own groups in the Echo app now

You frickin legend! Thank you so much!!!!!!  This has been driving me totally nuts and wasted too much time scouring the net for an answer.  Thank you for your simple and permanent solution <3 <3

asianrocker

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:20 pm »
install hue sync. it's a desktop software. It's really really fun. Way funner than the one you're having now. Trust me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:49:57 pm by asianrocker »