Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Harmony & Alexa Voice Commands

aholloway17

Harmony & Alexa Voice Commands
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:57:41 pm »
Hi all,

Newbie here. I received my first Echo Dot for Christmas which prompted me to add a Harmony Hub and remote. I already had a Harmony remote so the basic set up and linking wasn't terribly difficult. I've connected a Bluetooth radio and Spotify and all of that is fine. I am unable to get or understand how to use voice commands specific to functioning commands other than turn on the TV, Cable, or Stereo. Commands like volume up or down, change TV input, or bring up the cable guide. I've done thing like adding simple names to the devices, ensured missing commands were added those types of things. Any suggestions or links to where to learn would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Allen

Snakeyes

Re: Harmony & Alexa Voice Commands
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:46:26 am »
Once you have set and linked up your Harmony app you should not have to do anything else after you have asked Echo to discover Devices/Scenes.
Once you are watching or listening, feel free to try a wide range of commands that you would typically do physically or through your Harmony.
Have you tried commands like "Alexa, increase volume" or "Alexa turn on CBS" or "Alexa, pause", etc. Keep in mind that your voice will be competing with your speakers for Alexa's attention.

Could also change the command to "Alexa, ask harmony to....... ".

aholloway17

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:02 am »
Thanks for that reply. That worked for some commands like volume and station select. Other commands like changing inputs on the TV or bringing up the cable guide do you know if those are possible? I went through the remote setup to program those features but not sure what command if any will work.

Allen

Snakeyes

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:58:39 am »
Changing inputs should work and should be part off the built-in commands generated by harmony. If harmony does not automatically identify these commands, there is a "teach" option that would allow you create these commands, assign them to different keys and use them. Practically anything you can do with your TV remote you should be able to program into your harmony. You just have to create and name learned keys with functions that don't automatically appear within the harmony app. Best of luck

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:24:18 pm »
In the last few weeks, I re-installed my Google Chrome Cast (first Gen) to my TV, and thus to my Harmony Hub. I can "change" to Chrome Cast. but I cannot launch it independently for some reason, by voice command. I will preface this by adding that I use YONOMI app to help interface with the Harmony Hub As well. I don't know how much it helps or slows things ir speeds things, but I know from setting up systems, that it will allow control of a second Harmony Hub. It was recommended for THAT system installation due to the multiple hubs.

I can command "Alexa, Turn on fire TV" and she does that, but when I try "Alexa, turn on Chrome Cast" or any variant of chrome commands I get a "Sorry, I didn't find Chomecast"... most times.

Once the Fire TV is on, I can command "Alexa, Turn on Chromecast" and the devices work together to change to Chromecast.

If Chromecast was the last thing I had "on" I will sometimes get a direct response of Turning on Chromecast from what I consider Scratch... Sometimes I get the "Sorry I didn't find Chromecast" response... Very hit or miss.

This is the only item in my entertainment system that gives me trouble... and to add one last thing to this same issue, Sometimes when I do change to Chromecast with Fire TV already on, by using the above command that actually works. Alexa says something about a secondary hub... Sometimes it doesn't. Again, very hit or miss.

Now... If I start from scratch and command "Alexa, Tell Harmony to turn on Chromecast" it seems to work every time.

I think the grand issue with all features related to Harmony hub and Alexas, is the fact that you cannot summon Status of the equipment. Maybe one day IR remotes will be a thing of the past and RF or WIFI will be the norm. Some components nowadays can communicate via wifi or bluetooth, and can actually relay their status to the controller through one of the wireless features. I seek future purchases to help me eliminate any IR devices going forward. My next TV will likely be a WIFI enabled TV that either already has some form voice control, or will integrate with my AI devices through WIFI. Bluetooth is too sketchy for this stuff in my opinion, with latency issues that are always difficult or expensive to get around. Anyway... I thought I'd throw in some more Harmony Hub input. It probably won't help, but gives some insight into common issues that can be had.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

DroMike

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 06:03:10 pm »
Any suggestions or links to where to learn would be greatly appreciated!

Allen, in case you haven't checked there, Logitech's website has tons of helper pages re Harmony-Alexa commands.  Also, should you get stuck or want to understand some basic concepts, there's also a toll-free number for technical support.  I believe it says you can use it for 90 days but honestly, you can just call anytime.  I called perhaps a half dozen times last Nov-Dec when after I purchased my Harmony Companion for Companion and Alexa information and they don't ask you when you purchased your Harmony.  Once you learn these basics, then fashioning "Activities" on your Harmony (which you can of course then invoke with Alexa) are a breeze.  This is why I'd recommend the actual product's website.  Just Google "Logitech Harmony Support" or similar for a wealth of great tips and info! - Mike

DroMike

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:20:17 pm »
....in addition to what I mentioned above, I'm remiss in forgetting to mention that also, there's actually a Logitech Harmony forum where everybody there has Harmony which increases your chances for help tenfold.  Easily found/Googled.  I hope my information is of some help to you.