Echo & Alexa Forums

Calling from Echo to Echo, without the Alexa app

Sparkomatic

Calling from Echo to Echo, without the Alexa app
« on: January 12, 2018, 04:48:10 pm »
I have an Echo Plus, and my parents have an Echo 2. I have an iPhone with the Alexa app on and Echo/Alexa has imported my contacts. My parents, on the other hand, are so old school, they don't even have a smart phone, so therefor no Alexa app. Because they have no Alexa app, how can they set up their phone to make and receive calls from me? Any ideas would be appreciated. Hopefully Im just being stupid and am missing something really obvious.

Laurel

Re: Calling from Echo to Echo, without the Alexa app
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 04:08:59 pm »
Sounds like they would need to use the alexa.amazon.uk site that is referenced in the above.  They need an Amazon account too.

Snakeyes

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 04:48:18 pm »
As implied value previous poster, both echo's need to be set up for Drop In Conversations. That means unfortunately your parents need a compatible phone with the Alexa app installed and then have to go through the process of going into the Conversations tab  to enter and verify the mobile phone data.

samsethi

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:08 pm »
Hi

Another option is to use the New Echo Connect (due out shortly in UK but see it here in the US - https://www.amazon.com/Echo-Connect-requires-service-verified/dp/B074TTVQYP) This connects to the home phone number and might allow your parents to use their echo as the phone speaker and also to make calls using Alexa. 

Sam