Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa trigger a way to not have to say the word Trigger.... please!

eTron

I really hope Amazon is considering reworking the whole Trigger word to launch apps and use IFTTT. The lack of natural voice dictation is the reason I sold my 6 echo devices and bought google homes instead. Works great with IFTTT and you can choose what you want to say and how it responds naturally. I did the same for my mom who didn’t understand Trigger this Trigger that and why it sounded weird.

asianrocker

Re: Alexa trigger a way to not have to say the word Trigger.... please!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:27:38 pm »
If you already sold your echo why do you even care? Let me guess you want to buy the new bunch of echos?
LOL.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:21:36 am »
I really hope Amazon is considering reworking the whole Trigger word to launch apps and use IFTTT. The lack of natural voice dictation is the reason I sold my 6 echo devices and bought google homes instead. Works great with IFTTT and you can choose what you want to say and how it responds naturally. I did the same for my mom who didn’t understand Trigger this Trigger that and why it sounded weird.

I doubt very much that you ever owned one single dot.  one thing though,  even with google, if you do not say certain words when making a command, it will not work. 

as far as naturally sounded.  if I asked alex to turn something on, it just says ok.  If you ask google home to turn something on, it will say ok, turning on whatever.   it is way too wordy. 

what I like about the echo, the commands are short and precise.  you can enhance those command a bit to make it sound more natural if you want as long as you don't get too fancy.   

too bad you never knew this since you never owned any dots. 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:12:09 am by renegade600 »

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:39:44 am »
I never have to say "trigger" anything... the "trigger" command stuff must be used with IFTTT, as I don't use it at all. I use YONOMI. When I set up my commands on it, I barely have to say anything... Like "Alexa, turn on the TV" where the on ly thing outta line is the word "Alexa"... after a while even that becomes pretty natural.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

asianrocker

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 07:57:12 am »
To other posters above did you even read his post? LOL. He is indeed talking about IFTT and you DO have to say trigger this, trigger that. I still wonder why OP cares. If he is using GH anyway, LOL.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:45:14 pm »
I never have to say "trigger" anything... the "trigger" command stuff must be used with IFTTT, as I don't use it at all. I use YONOMI. When I set up my commands on it, I barely have to say anything... Like "Alexa, turn on the TV" where the on ly thing outta line is the word "Alexa"... after a while even that becomes pretty natural.

what was said also applies to ifttt and saying the word trigger.  I think it is you who misunderstood the replies and the original post.  besides none of the ifttt receipes  I use need the word trigger. 

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »

what was said also applies to ifttt and saying the word trigger.  I think it is you who misunderstood the replies and the original post.  besides none of the ifttt receipes  I use need the word trigger.

I guess so... I feel triggered now... (LOL... I did understand it was IFTTT issue, but thought I would comment on the situation with what I DO know, that being the YONOMI app and I have no experience with "Trigger"... Is it actually the word "Trigger"? or is it a Trigger word for a command that has to be used with IFTTT? Enlighten me with specificity... Generalizations obviously aren't working within this stuff on this thread... especially if I can't read and understand the original post about "trigger this and trigger that"... sounded to me like the OP was talking about the word Trigger... *sigh* sometimes my mind hurts...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

gsuemnic

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 09:07:43 am »

What other hardware are you using to control your TV ??  I thought the harmony hub was idea, EXPECTED it remembering the on/off state of each device.

gcs

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 12:34:41 pm »
I say a-men and a-men about getting rid of the word "trigger."  It only pops up when you choose the IFTTT trigger "Say a specific phrase."  When that is trigger chosen, a screen pops up that says: "This trigger fires every time you say "Alexa trigger."  Here's what I want to be able to do - every time I say "Alexa add carrots to my grocery list," I want an applet to cause the same item to be added to my grocery list on IOS (iPhone) reminders.   Otherwise I can't use Alexa normally because i must say "Alexa trigger."

I think it can be done, because michikade created an IFTTT applet which will do exactly that with a shopping list... without using the "trigger" word.

Any help will be appreciated. 

StevenR

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »
Here's what I want to be able to do - every time I say "Alexa add carrots to my grocery list," I want an applet to cause the same item to be added to my grocery list on IOS (iPhone) reminders.   Otherwise I can't use Alexa normally because i must say "Alexa trigger."

To do what you want, you need to use the Alexa "Item added to your Shopping List" trigger in IFTTT rather than the "Say a specific phrase" trigger. I believe there is an IFTTT action that allows you to create Reminders in iOS so you should be able to use the two together to do what you want.

Drwoodr

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:42 pm »
Here's what I want to be able to do - every time I say "Alexa add carrots to my grocery list," I want an applet to cause the same item to be added to my grocery list on IOS (iPhone) reminders.   Otherwise I can't use Alexa normally because i must say "Alexa trigger."

I think it can be done, because michikade created an IFTTT applet which will do exactly that with a shopping list... without using the "trigger" word.

Any help will be appreciated.

Just curious, but what is the benefit of having a duplicate grocery list in iOS reminders? I find the shopping list in the Alexa app very easy to use.