Echo & Alexa Forums

UK Native Living in Germany Having Nothing but Problems with Alexa

LiamOwen

Hi,

I bought 2 Echo Dots, to use with my Sonos system (3 x SONOS 1).

When I first set them up, they were in German, so I changed the language to English.

Then it said that my language didn't match the language of my account (Amazon.de) which is set to English.

After a bit of research, I saw that other people suggested switching your content(?) account to a US Amazon account (Amazon.com)

This seemed to fix the problem and the Sonos integration worked! The only problem now is that Alexa can't do A LOT of what she is supposed to be able to do, such as order things through Amazon.de, due to the account being linked to the Amazon.com account. She also can't recognise many other things, including "Things to Try" suggested on the home page of the Alexa app.

She can basically only tell me the news, play music, tell a joke, tell the weather, set timers and add things to a list.

For a "smart" device, she isn't very smart and I feel like the language issues are a HUGE oversight on their part. The Amazon website's language can be changed and is perfect most of the time. I can't understand why they haven't made it possible to fully use the device in your own language if you live in another country.

Has anyone else experienced this? I only have a couple of Dots which I bought on sale. I feel sorry for the people who spent 458EUR on a pair of Sonos: Ones!

asianrocker

Re: UK Native Living in Germany Having Nothing but Problems with Alexa
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:49:43 am »
Damn you really are in a dilemma. So if you are using german amazon account you can't switch to English? Wow. You don't speak german? Maybe it's the best way to practice if only for the on/off command. LOL.

I can only think of switching accounts solution. I am nowhere near Germany and would love to die on Uk. Just have a certain obsession for English accent for some reason and all my fave authors are Brit. So is my all time music love - Boy George --- LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Scotty65

Re: UK Native Living in Germany Having Nothing but Problems with Alexa
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:10:22 am »
I'm in the UK, and found that language, account and location settings must all match, or a lot of things don't work. I tried setting language to US to get the music alarm working but it caused lots of problems so I put it back. Try calling Echo tech support on +353 1 247 7699 or go to amazon.de and search for support, they will call you back and may be able to help.