Echo & Alexa Forums

I Don't Need a GH Mini in My Car Afterall

malliekm

I Don't Need a GH Mini in My Car Afterall
« on: December 22, 2017, 02:47:52 pm »
I never really used my phone's BT capabilities in my car except for my phone's calling features thru Ford Sync.  I guess I always knew it was possible but never tapped into the fact that all I had to do was choose BTST instead of USB on the Nav screen.  Then say "Hey Google (and ask my question)".  Just like using a Google Home device but the answer comes thru the car's speakers.  I tried a dozen or more questions and only one gave results that were not read aloud.  Keeping the phone plugged into the built in charging port, I can keep the screen on and never have to look at, hold and turn the screen on manually.  Music via GPM, control my home's smart devices and answers to all my INTELLIGENT (I don't ask stupid questions) questions while in the car and never have to take my eyes off the road or my hands off the steering wheel :)

mike27oct

Re: I Don't Need a GH Mini in My Car Afterall
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 04:34:28 pm »
We use phone's BT in the car for the phone's Google Maps app's GPS.  It works better than the Garmin GPS device, and it always is up to date and has more features than the Garmin.  Google Maps audio also comes through car speakers, not a little GPS or phone . 

We use this around town as well as on trips using rental cars.  Helped us a few weeks ago to get around Kauai, HI.

asianrocker

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 10:28:49 pm »
Well you finally see what I meant then, several posts months ago. If you read it. Although I don't use GA while driving for some reason. I prefer the manual way, I know, dangerous. I even installed an app that makes/forces you to only use your voice while driving. I installed/uninstalled that app numerous times.

malliekm

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:43:49 pm »
Asianrocker, I still find my GHs extremely handy and convenient.   They take GA on the phone to a whole other level.  Anywhere in the house that I am, I can ask questions and issue commands without having to have phone in hand and turn on the screen.  But the car situation is different and set up like I have it now, the phone acts exactly like the GH device.  Just got to see how phone calls are going to be answered now that Sync is in BTST mode and not USB.  Caller ID was on the nav screen and I used to just tap the screen to answer a call.