Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot and bluetooth soundbar with auto standby

Midlife

Echo Dot and bluetooth soundbar with auto standby
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:01:09 am »
I have an Echo Dot paired to a Polk Audio FR1 Soundbar that has an automatic sleep/standby function that kicks in after 10 minutes of inactivity. When it's in standby mode the Echo won't play through it unless I turn it back on manually. The soundbar shows in the Echo App Settings as connected via Bluetooth but Alexa says it's not there when asked to "turn on Bluetooth" (a suggestion I found via Google to wake up the soundbar). When I ask Alexa to "turn on the FR1" it says it doesn't show that device (even though it IS listed in the app).

One more thing - the Echo seems to turn the soundbar on once an hour or so. At least I hear a sound from the Echo and the soundbar goes into full on mode by itself. Note: I called Polk Audio but they were no help with a way to defeat the auto standby function.

The above suggests there's a way to get this to work, but I need help.  Thanks.

Re: Echo Dot and bluetooth soundbar with auto standby
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:59:03 am »
have you tried the command connect.  just say alexa connect

Midlife

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:05:29 am »
The command "Connect" gets the same response. Alexa says she doesn't find any devices, even though the soundbar is showing under bluetooth in the app and it WILL work if it's turned on manually when the "Play X music" command is given.  ::)

ics19

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:09:46 am »
FWIW, my Samsung soundbar has to be set to auto power-on.  This is called "Bluetooth Power On" and the default is off. Once set, if the soundbar is powered "off" and a Bluetooth connection is then initiated, the 'bar will power on fully in Bluetooth mode.  There may well be something similar in your soundbar, so best to check the manual.  i don't think it's a problem with Echo, just that the soundbar isn't able to listen as it's fully powered down?

edit - ahh, just realised I missed your comment "the soundbar goes into full on mode by itself".  That's weird and does suggest it's already in some sort of auto power-on mode.  Have you tried a bluetooth connection from another device to test, eg mobile phone?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:16:42 am by ics19 »