Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo dot showing up in my settings?

gummyrabbit

Echo dot showing up in my settings?
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:56 pm »
I ordered an Amazon Echo 2nd Gen and I set it up successfully.  In the setup I see my Echo AND an Echo Dot (shows offline).  The only thing I can think of is that I did order and received an Echo Dot (still in the box) which is a gift for my sister.  Is this why it shows up in my list of Echo devices?

Laurel

Re: Echo dot showing up in my settings?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »
I ordered an Amazon Echo 2nd Gen and I set it up successfully.  In the setup I see my Echo AND an Echo Dot (shows offline).  The only thing I can think of is that I did order and received an Echo Dot (still in the box) which is a gift for my sister.  Is this why it shows up in my list of Echo devices?

Yes both will be registered to you.

gummyrabbit

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »
Thanks for the info.  But it's a gift for my sister...can she change the registration to her name?  Sorry for the noob questions.  I just got them a couple of hours ago.   :P

Drwoodr

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:34 pm »
Yes, you can unregister the device in your Alexa app, then your sister can register it in her account.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:08:34 am »
the next time you want to gift one, get it from someplace like best buy or another third party store.  this way it will not automatically be registered in your name.

to deregister, just open the app, click on settings, click on the new dots name, scroll down and click on deregister.   then follow the onscreen instructions. 

codball

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 06:52:58 am »
Hey there,

I've got the same problem from 2 Echo Shows I bought over Christmas, they've been tried with 2 established accounts, 2 internet connections and over two devices.

However, I've recently created a brand new Amazon account, factory reset the Show and logged into both the Echo and the Alexa app with the new details. This looks to have work OK and the Echo Show is now online within the app (I can also link Spotify to it).

So, it looks like the problem is to do with an Amazon account - sadly it doesn't look like it's a common issue and when I called support they told me one person has complained about it and it's being "looked into". I'm going to ask Amazon to merge my two accounts if possible to see if that works.

Might be worth giving a shot for you too.

James

asianrocker

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 08:15:28 am »
Hey there,

I've got the same problem from 2 Echo Shows I bought over Christmas, they've been tried with 2 established accounts, 2 internet connections and over two devices.

Are you saying you bought a 'new' echo show and it is tied with accounts, and internet connections that are not yours?

LOL. Sorry to burst your bubble, you got a returned item.

DroMike

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 06:50:33 pm »

LOL!  This happened to me and certainly many others who brought multiple Echos into their homes during the Holidays earmarked for others.  Ironically, once the gift Echo departs your home it will STILL be shown on your account.  As mentioned you'll have to deregister it.  Here's how:

1.  Login to your Amazon webpage (I recommend on a PC);
2.  Go to "Accounts and Lists";
3.  Under "Your Account" go to "Your Content and Devices"  (sign in further as needed);
4.  You'll arrive at the "Manage Your Content and Devices" page;
5.  Of the three available tabs, "Your Content, "Your Devices," and "Settings" select "Your Devices";
6.  Click on the device you want to deregister;
7.  Click on the "Device Actions" drop-down menu show below and far left; and finally
8.  Select "Deregister," and confirm.  Done!