Echo & Alexa Forums

Can I control timers on 3rd party switches, lights

Photobug

Can I control timers on 3rd party switches, lights
« on: December 11, 2017, 02:37:52 pm »
I am using my Echo, dots to control lights and some other items around the house.  I am looking to expand the parameters of what I can control by voice.  I have no problem turning on and off and dimming lights, or setting a temperature on the thermostat.  I also use Alex to set timers and reminders.

I am unable to get Alex to set a timed event or function on third party items.  I have tried using my Wemo and Lutron Switches to turn on or off a light in one minute.  I imagine I could go into the Lutron app or Wemo app to set a timer but I would like to use Alex to do this via voice command.

My goal is to install a hot water re-circulation pump.  I would set this up on a smart WIFI enabled switch or outlet and have the re-circulation turn on via timer.  But I would like to have the water go on with a voice command.  Example "Alex turn on hot water for 5 minutes"

I would appreciate suggestions on how to make this happen.

Drwoodr

Re: Can I control timers on 3rd party switches, lights
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:28:59 pm »
I have several wemo switched and outlets, and you can set up a rule to turn off the device 5 minutes after it’s turned on.  Then when you turn it on with Alexa, it will go off automatically. I have my outside spot lights go off after an hour automatically so I don’t forget about them and leave them on all night.