Echo & Alexa Forums

3 dots won't connect no matter what

SteveT

3 dots won't connect no matter what
« on: December 09, 2017, 12:50:41 pm »
I moved my Nighthawk AC1900 router from a corner of my 1700 sf home to a central location. Every other wireless device reconnected. My 3 Echo Dots refuse to connect at all. I've followed most of the advise from the *** "READ THIS IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE SETTING UP YOUR ECHO TO WIFI"
Nothing works. All it did was move the router. It wasn't off for more than a few minutes.

The only thing I haven't done is to un register and re register.

I've had power failures before and the 3 dots have always just picked right up where they left off. I shouldn't have to un register and re register all three. do I?
Any other suggestions?
If I have to re register will all the skills and stuff stay or will I have to re add?

Thanks

mike27oct

Re: 3 dots won't connect no matter what
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:09:06 pm »
Relocating the router should have nothing to do with this.  Maybe the Alexa server crapped out during the time you you had router disconnected.  Re-registering Dots not necessare.  Rebooting them may be adviseable so unplug all of them.  Next reboot the modem and then the router.  After wierless system is up and running again, plug in each Dot , but do so one at a time and check the first one, if it is working, do the next ones.

If this does not help, write back.

SteveT

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 06:18:19 pm »
OK.unplugged all 3 Dots.
Rebooted Router. Also turned off access control in the router to allow any device to connect.
plugged 1 Dot in.
Waited a few minutes then pressed the button to start setup. Orange light going round.
Then it tells me to manually connect to the DOT.
connect to the Dot manually (Amazon-HRS) and get the voice announcement that I am "Connected to Echo Dot"
Back to the setup and the display shows "Connected to Echo Dot" Press continue.
I Press continue.
Next screen says "no wi-fi networks have been saved".
I select my router and press "Connect" message reads "This may take a few minutes"
After about 60 seconds I see "Your device was unable to connect to your WI-FI network.Try again
About 5 minutes "Dot says setup mode if off"
Went through the same steps for each Dot. No love.
I'm stumped and ready to toss them for something else. >:( Maybe I'm missing something simple. Didn't have this issue when I originally set them up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:19:58 pm by SteveT »

Drwoodr

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »
When you say you "pressed the button to start setup", did you do a reset? What you are describing is similar to an issue I had with a new dot, but the reset fixed it.

"To reset your Echo device that has volume buttons: Press and hold the Microphone off and Volume down buttons at the same time until the light ring turns orange (about 20 seconds)."

SteveT

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »
Looks like the 2 finger salute reset did the trick. I really appreciate your assistance. It kept all the skills. Odd that all 3 would do this in the 5 minutes it took to move the router.
Anyway.....Thanks again.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:15:40 am »
Whem you first turned on Dots did the blue light ring spin and the Dot connected, or did you get antsy and immediately try to reset?  It should have just started up as usual; jeeze all that happened was the wi-fi connection disappeared for a while and then you unplugged and let the units reset for enough time.

Whatever, glad someone had a solution for you.

1985MISdegree

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:32 pm »
Please Help Someone. Got the Echo Dot for Christmas finally trying to get it set up on my desktop with Windows 10 with no luck getting past Wi-Fi settings part. Nowhere anywhere can I find a way to pull up a Wi-Fi settings "Amazon-XXX" All the videos, all the instructions to use setting to get there don't work. There is no Wi-Fi Icon to click on. Going to Settings to Network & Internet to Select Wi-Fi entry on left list (because it doesn't show up) etc doesn't work. The best I get is "Network 2 connected". Just where does one go on a desktop to pull up Wi-Fi setting to complete the Echo Dot set-up. Yes, I have a working Wi-Fi, Yes, I have the password ready to go. HELP!!

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 01:33:11 pm »
first you should have started your own thread.  your problem is completely different from the thread you hijacked.  in addition, it can get confusing and solutions for one could make things worse for the other. 

1.  are you going to echo.amazon.com in your browser to set it up. 
2.  if you are using the above, are you going to settings - select the device - scroll down to where it says wifi. 

1985MISdegree

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 02:55:49 pm »
OK OK OK my desktop was hardwired not hooked up to the Wi-Fi. Using the wife's it showed the Amazon-XXX for our Echo Dot and completed the set-up just fine. Now bring on the Snark, the Trolling and whatever egghead nerding your little hearts desire.....

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 03:22:01 pm »
OK, OK, here is a snarky comment for you: Why was your reply so snarky?  Nice way to get started here. 
BTW, if "MIS"degree refers to your Masters of Info Science degree, why did you even need our help?

Offline jwlv

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:01:43 pm »
OK OK OK my desktop was hardwired not hooked up to the Wi-Fi. Using the wife's it showed the Amazon-XXX for our Echo Dot and completed the set-up just fine. Now bring on the Snark, the Trolling and whatever egghead nerding your little hearts desire.....

LOL. You were trying to connect to WiFi when your desktop computer doesn't WiFi? That's classic! :)