Echo & Alexa Forums

Routines - New "Alexa says" Action

Re: Routines - New "Alexa says" Action
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 01:59:42 pm »
Interestingly I switched my language to English (United Kingdom) and I get the same results so the issue appears it may be related to the language setting.
If I set the language to English (United states) or English (Canada) I don't get the "I heard" at the start of the responce

StevenR

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 02:17:58 pm »
I have this exact same issue. I'm also in the UK (if relevant). Did you ever find a cure?

I've not found a workaround with the "Alexa Says" action of Routines but I did find one with "Simon Says" (I was using this as part of an alarm clock app to make Alexa say things when the alarm went off) by enabling a skill called "Repeat After Me". But this has the disadvantage that you need to say "Alexa, ask Repeat After Me to say phrase" and obviously won't work with Routines.

RichieRich

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 02:30:32 pm »
Interestingly I switched my language to English (United Kingdom) and I get the same results so the issue appears it may be related to the language setting.

Looking more and more like a bug then :(

I've not found a workaround with the "Alexa Says" action of Routines but I did find one with "Simon Says" (I was using this as part of an alarm clock app to make Alexa say things when the alarm went off) by enabling a skill called "Repeat After Me". But this has the disadvantage that you need to say "Alexa, ask Repeat After Me to say phrase" and obviously won't work with Routines.

Hmmm... that's not much good is it? 

Before the 'Alexa says' addition, when I'd say 'good morning' it would run the routine and say 'ok' which is just as bad  :-\

Not sure what else we can do now?

StevenR

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 02:37:48 pm »
Hmmm... that's not much good is it? 

Before the 'Alexa says' addition, when I'd say 'good morning' it would run the routine and say 'ok' which is just as bad  :-\

Not sure what else we can do now?

I'd suggest sending feedback through the Alexa app. I've already done this but, the more of us in the UK with this issue who report it, the more chance it has of being fixed.

RichieRich

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
Done.

Not sure they'll fix it though so for now I have to go back to it replying with "ok" when I say goodnight :(

RichieRich

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 04:42:05 pm »
If I set the language to English (United states) or English (Canada) I don't get the "I heard" at the start of the responce

Although... thinking about it now... are there any downsides to me doing this?

If I'm in the UK and set the language to English (United States) is it likely to affect anything?

I'm not sure what that setting actually does?!

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »

Although... thinking about it now... are there any downsides to me doing this?

If I'm in the UK and set the language to English (United States) is it likely to affect anything?

I'm not sure what that setting actually does?!

when you switch languages it will throw a warning and describes issues you may encounter.
However you can always switch back  if you find the issues are unacceptable ;)

StevenR

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 11:43:46 am »
Done.

Not sure they'll fix it though so for now I have to go back to it replying with "ok" when I say goodnight :(

I've just tried my routines and a few "Simon Says" and even, even after multiple tries, it has never said "I heard". Can you try it yourself and confirm this. If so, it looks like they may have finally fixed this!

RichieRich

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 11:52:43 am »
I've just tried my routines and a few "Simon Says" and even, even after multiple tries, it has never said "I heard". Can you try it yourself and confirm this. If so, it looks like they may have finally fixed this!

I got this reply from Amazon earlier:

Hello,

I'm sorry to know that Alexa responded with "I heard good morning"? instead of wishing good morning.

This might have happened due to an intermittent technical glitch. I request you to restart the device and try the same command.

Further, If the issue is not resolved I suggest you to reset the device. If you reset the device, any residual technical bugs or issues will get removed.

To reset your Echo device:

1. Press and hold the Microphone Off and Volume Down buttons at the same time until the light ring turns orange (about 12 seconds.) Then the light ring turns blue.
2. Wait for the light ring to turn off and on again. The light ring then turns orange again and your Echo device enters setup mode.
3. Open the Alexa app to connect your device to a Wi-Fi network and register it to your Amazon account.

After you reset the device, try accessing Alexa with your commands and check if she replies as usually.

If the problem still persists after resetting the device, please write back to us so that we will escalate this to our technical team.

I don't really want to factory reset ALL my Echo devices, that's ridiculous.

However, I will reboot them all tonight and try again.

Will let you know :)

RichieRich

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 02:39:36 am »
Success!!

Rebooted all three Echos, then last night when I said "good night" it replied with "nite nite sleep tight".

Same this morning too, replied with "good morning" correctly!

I guess they fixed it after all :)