Echo & Alexa Forums

How to get Alexa to play 'Dance, Dance, Dance' by 'Crazy Horse'?

nonobaddog

How to get Alexa to play 'Dance, Dance, Dance' by 'Crazy Horse'?
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:02:15 pm »
My Echo Dots just won't play this song for me.  How do I get it to do this?

I tried saying all the obvious things and it either plays a different song - "When you dance I can really love" by 'Neil Young and Crazy Horse' or it just plays dumb.

If you can get it to play that song - please post how you did it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:55:08 pm by nonobaddog »

AlanH

Re: How to get Alexa to play 'Dance, Dance, Dance' by 'Crazy Horse'?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:46:45 pm »
Played OK for me on Spotify.

nonobaddog

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:49:35 pm »
Thanks.  I had to look up spotify.  It looks like that is a pay subscription for mobile devices and has nothing to do with Alexa on an Echo Dot.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:00:37 pm »
Amazon and Alexa has to learn which songs you like and listen to.
So on your computer or smartphone go to https://music.amazon.com/home
Search for Dance, Dance, Dance by Neil Young & Crazy Horse. Play it a few times. Eventually Alexa will learn that's the song you want. And try not to play the other song much because Alexa is learning from that too.

nonobaddog

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 05:14:31 pm »
OK, I think that helped find out why.  It won't play it on Amazon either unless I get Music Unlimited so I guess that is the problem.
Usually Alexa says that but not this time.

There are three versions (At least!)  One by 'Neil Young', one by 'Neil Young and Crazy Horse' and one by 'Crazy Horse'.
I want the one by 'Crazy Horse' but that one won't play without paying.

I give up on playing it the Dot.

AlanH

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 05:25:40 pm »
Thanks.  I had to look up spotify.  It looks like that is a pay subscription for mobile devices and has nothing to do with Alexa on an Echo Dot.
Spotify is a music subscription service just like Amazon Music Unlimited, and can play through an Echo device in exactly the same way as Music Unlimited.

Laurel

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:29:17 pm »

I use non paid Spotify on my Alexa devices.  Along with Pandora and tunein radio.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:00:49 pm »
as previously stated, you can train alexa.  another option is to create a playlist and place the song in it.  a playlist can have one song so it would be a round about way of renaming it. 

nonobaddog

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 06:33:40 pm »
How do you use free spotify with Alexa? 
I started a free spotify account.  I can play the Crazy Horse song on my computer in spotify.  I went to add spotify in the Alexa app on my phone and it says - "To ask Alexa to play Spotify you must have a Spotify Premium account."

asianrocker

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:09 pm »
You can use any free music app on alexa but ONLY as BT speaker. You control everything manually on your phone. Well, you can do previous, stop, etc. via voice.. BUT

if you want to voice activate a certain song like in your OP, you gotta pay, bud.

Why would you even want to speak that long arse title when you can just press play in your phone or PC. LOL.

malliekm

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:24 pm »
ok, I'll tell you how I did it if you insist.  I asked Google Home.  But, to be fair, I subscribe to Google Play Music.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 07:42:57 am »
You can also ask Alexa to Play the song by crazy horse that goes " blah blah blah" or whatever the lyrics are... That might be a quicker work around. You might omit the name of the grounp and just say the lyrics part too.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

nonobaddog

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 10:27:41 am »
That almost works but Alexa plays the one by 'Neil You and Crazy Horse' not the one by 'Crazy Horse'.

Thank you all for your efforts and advice on getting this to work but I give up.  I think Alexa just doesn't have that song available to play or maybe just doesn't like it.
Thank you!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 03:28:09 pm »
You are correct. Dance, Dance, Dance by Crazy Horse is not available on Amazon Prime Music. So unless you have Amazon Music Unlimited (need to pay extra) or some other paid music service, the only one I see on Prime Music is the one with Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 06:39:12 pm »
or if you already have it in your personal collection,  you can upload it to amazon (my music) and play it.